what do people want to talk about in here?

Like lots of other people I miss the active days of the mailing list (and
I'm not even sure where the conversation went! I know other communities
have moved to discourse but there doesn't seem to be a ruby discourse
instance, and the subreddit isn't particularly active), and would be happy
to do my part in helping revive the discussion, but that assumes people
want to be having discussions in the first place :slight_smile:

More concretely, would whoever is still lurking on this list like to see
things like
- Links to interesting ruby blog posts
- Random project highlights
- Return of the weekly ruby quiz
- What people are using ruby for these days
- Something else?

martin

I once was a perl user, and switched to ruby years ago, now use ruby for
jobs every day.

···

On Fri, Sep 2, 2022 at 10:10 AM Martin DeMello <martindemello@gmail.com> wrote:

Like lots of other people I miss the active days of the mailing list (and
I'm not even sure where the conversation went! I know other communities
have moved to discourse but there doesn't seem to be a ruby discourse
instance, and the subreddit isn't particularly active), and would be happy
to do my part in helping revive the discussion, but that assumes people
want to be having discussions in the first place :slight_smile:

More concretely, would whoever is still lurking on this list like to see
things like
- Links to interesting ruby blog posts
- Random project highlights
- Return of the weekly ruby quiz
- What people are using ruby for these days
- Something else?

martin

Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request@ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>
<http://lists.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ruby-talk&gt;

Hi Martin.

Thank you for asking this - I fall into a similar group as you. I am a regular Ruby user and keen to see Ruby working well for people on Windows (and JRuby) - so, I explore and blog about these two things to help people.

What do I want to discuss based on your checklist? Answers inline

More concretely, would whoever is still lurking on this list like to see things like
- Links to interesting ruby blog posts

Yes - why not? I get that it's a bit self-serving but in reality, it helps get the word out, get feedback on the post and also in the best case, some discussion.

- Random project highlights

Again, same as above.

- Return of the weekly ruby quiz

I never participated but no reason for me to say yes or no.

- What people are using ruby for these days

Totally. I think a busier and active group here would help others also see how Ruby is being used rather than only the "is Ruby still dead?" conversations.

- Something else?

[1] Problems - I used to really enjoy reading about problems that people were facing and how the community would help solve them. That way, I learned things that I had not yet encountered. I miss that :slight_smile: but maybe, the newer generation programmers are using emails less?

[2] Gem announcements - I don't see a problem with every minor release being advertised here. It gives me a view of what people are building and what kind of problems they resolved and also to discover gems I do.

[3] General conversation - friendly like the old days :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Mohit.

···

On 2022-9-2 10:09 am, Martin DeMello wrote:

I like to talk about the following:

- Desktop GUI development in Ruby
- Opal Ruby and how to write isomorphic application code in Ruby on Rails
- Novel ways of improving/re-inventing web development as inspiration by
desktop application development (like implementing higher abstractions that
remove the need to think of low level web details like routes, HTTP verbs,
parameters/sessions, websockets, etc...., and instead enable focusing
directly on business domain concepts and business behavior use cases)

These are just a few topics to start with. I'm sure other people will
contribute many other topics.

Best,

···

On Thu, Sep 1, 2022 at 11:12 PM Mohit Sindhwani <mo_mail@onghu.com> wrote:

Hi Martin.

Thank you for asking this - I fall into a similar group as you. I am a
regular Ruby user and keen to see Ruby working well for people on
Windows (and JRuby) - so, I explore and blog about these two things to
help people.

What do I want to discuss based on your checklist? Answers inline

On 2022-9-2 10:09 am, Martin DeMello wrote:
> More concretely, would whoever is still lurking on this list like to
> see things like
> - Links to interesting ruby blog posts
Yes - why not? I get that it's a bit self-serving but in reality, it
helps get the word out, get feedback on the post and also in the best
case, some discussion.

> - Random project highlights
Again, same as above.

> - Return of the weekly ruby quiz
I never participated but no reason for me to say yes or no.

> - What people are using ruby for these days
Totally. I think a busier and active group here would help others also
see how Ruby is being used rather than only the "is Ruby still dead?"
conversations.

> - Something else?
[1] Problems - I used to really enjoy reading about problems that people
were facing and how the community would help solve them. That way, I
learned things that I had not yet encountered. I miss that :slight_smile: but
maybe, the newer generation programmers are using emails less?

[2] Gem announcements - I don't see a problem with every minor release
being advertised here. It gives me a view of what people are building
and what kind of problems they resolved and also to discover gems I do.

[3] General conversation - friendly like the old days :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Mohit.

Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request@ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>
<http://lists.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ruby-talk&gt;

--
Andy Maleh

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/andymaleh
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/andymaleh&gt;
Blog: http://andymaleh.blogspot.com
GitHub: AndyObtiva (Andy Maleh) · GitHub
Twitter: @AndyObtiva <https://twitter.com/AndyObtiva&gt;

I would really like to get one day a Ruby stack that does all of the following platforms with as little boilerplate code needed:

- Mobile: iOS, Android, Linux phones (not WebView)
- Desktop: Linux, Windows, macOS
- Web

Seems like other than the Web platform, Opal can fill in the gap for at least iOS with its unreasonable requirements... I also experimented a little with GJS, which could fill a gap for Linux and Linux phones at least. We have some basic support for osascript as well, but probably we won't go much from there. But starting from that I can see some long terms potential for Opal to become universal across all "frontend" environments.

···

On 9/2/22 05:14, Andy Maleh wrote:

I like to talk about the following:

- Desktop GUI development in Ruby
- Opal Ruby and how to write isomorphic application code in Ruby on Rails
- Novel ways of improving/re-inventing web development as inspiration by desktop application development (like implementing higher abstractions that remove the need to think of low level web details like routes, HTTP verbs, parameters/sessions, websockets, etc...., and instead enable focusing directly on business domain concepts and business behavior use cases)

These are just a few topics to start with. I'm sure other people will contribute many other topics.

Best,

I'm interested in who is using the new type system ...

···

On Thu, Sep 1, 2022, 8:37 PM hmdne <hmdne@airmail.cc> wrote:

On 9/2/22 05:14, Andy Maleh wrote:
> I like to talk about the following:
>
> - Desktop GUI development in Ruby
> - Opal Ruby and how to write isomorphic application code in Ruby on Rails
> - Novel ways of improving/re-inventing web development as inspiration
> by desktop application development (like implementing higher
> abstractions that remove the need to think of low level web details
> like routes, HTTP verbs, parameters/sessions, websockets, etc...., and
> instead enable focusing directly on business domain concepts and
> business behavior use cases)
>
> These are just a few topics to start with. I'm sure other people will
> contribute many other topics.
>
> Best,

I would really like to get one day a Ruby stack that does all of the
following platforms with as little boilerplate code needed:

- Mobile: iOS, Android, Linux phones (not WebView)
- Desktop: Linux, Windows, macOS
- Web

Seems like other than the Web platform, Opal can fill in the gap for at
least iOS with its unreasonable requirements... I also experimented a
little with GJS, which could fill a gap for Linux and Linux phones at
least. We have some basic support for osascript as well, but probably we
won't go much from there. But starting from that I can see some long
terms potential for Opal to become universal across all "frontend"
environments.

Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request@ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>
<http://lists.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ruby-talk&gt;

Thank you for this, this is exactly why I joined the list in the first place.

Chibuzor

···

On Sep 2, 2022, at 3:09 AM, Martin DeMello <martindemello@gmail.com> wrote:

Like lots of other people I miss the active days of the mailing list (and I'm not even sure where the conversation went! I know other communities have moved to discourse but there doesn't seem to be a ruby discourse instance, and the subreddit isn't particularly active), and would be happy to do my part in helping revive the discussion, but that assumes people want to be having discussions in the first place :slight_smile:

More concretely, would whoever is still lurking on this list like to see things like
- Links to interesting ruby blog posts
- Random project highlights
- Return of the weekly ruby quiz
- What people are using ruby for these days
- Something else?

martin

Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request@ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>
<http://lists.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ruby-talk&gt;

For me, the natural content in a mailing list like this one is questions
and answers.

Years ago, when you needed help you joined the corresponding mailing list
or USENET group. Or IRC! There, regulars helped. And you could have
separate places for announcements, core discussion, etc.

For whatever reason, this pattern has changed for Ruby and other
programming languages. Stack Overflow and Discourse changed this for new
generations.

Personally I would not like to see more of these here, I would like to
have them in an official canonical newsletter like Git Rev News:

https://git.github.io/rev_news/

In the absence of this, sure, here is fine.

But what I would like to see more is questions of how to do certain
things better. I like refactoring and cleaning Ruby code.

Also, I would like to see more ideas of new projects before they are
started. Like for example, "hey guys, I'm thinking of writing a new
test harness from scratch, anyone interested in joining?".

More important is what I don't want to talk about: political opinions,
woke culture war stuff, and personal attacks.

Cheers.

···

On Thu, Sep 1, 2022 at 9:10 PM Martin DeMello <martindemello@gmail.com> wrote:

More concretely, would whoever is still lurking on this list like to see things like
- Links to interesting ruby blog posts
- Random project highlights
- Return of the weekly ruby quiz
- What people are using ruby for these days
- Something else?

--
Felipe Contreras

I would check all the items on Martin´s checklist plus Mohit's [3] General
conversation - friendly like the old days :slight_smile:

···

Em qui., 1 de set. de 2022 às 23:10, Martin DeMello <martindemello@gmail.com> escreveu:

Like lots of other people I miss the active days of the mailing list (and
I'm not even sure where the conversation went! I know other communities
have moved to discourse but there doesn't seem to be a ruby discourse
instance, and the subreddit isn't particularly active), and would be happy
to do my part in helping revive the discussion, but that assumes people
want to be having discussions in the first place :slight_smile:

More concretely, would whoever is still lurking on this list like to see
things like
- Links to interesting ruby blog posts
- Random project highlights
- Return of the weekly ruby quiz
- What people are using ruby for these days
- Something else?

martin

Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request@ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>
<http://lists.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ruby-talk&gt;

I'm def not "new generation" but personally I've come to prefer the
Slack/Discord model for real-time discussion.

There's an active RoR Slack, for example, but I haven't looked for
a generic Ruby one - anyone know? Or want to start one? :grinning:

···

On Thu, Sep 1, 2022 at 11:11 PM Xavier Noria <fxn@hashref.com> wrote:

For whatever reason, this pattern has changed for Ruby and other programming languages. Stack Overflow and Discourse changed this for new generations.

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com
twitter: @hassan
Consulting Availability : Silicon Valley or remote

There's an active RoR Slack, for example, but I haven't looked for

a generic Ruby one - anyone know? Or want to start one? :grinning:

Any updates on creating a Slack/Discord for Ruby? Do you think it's
worthwhile to build another community in one of these platforms?

···

On Fri, 2 Sept 2022 at 22:35, Hassan Schroeder <hassan.schroeder@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 1, 2022 at 11:11 PM Xavier Noria <fxn@hashref.com> wrote:

> For whatever reason, this pattern has changed for Ruby and other
programming languages. Stack Overflow and Discourse changed this for new
generations.

I'm def not "new generation" but personally I've come to prefer the
Slack/Discord model for real-time discussion.

There's an active RoR Slack, for example, but I haven't looked for
a generic Ruby one - anyone know? Or want to start one? :grinning:

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com
twitter: @hassan
Consulting Availability : Silicon Valley or remote

Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request@ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>
<http://lists.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ruby-talk&gt;

Why insist on using a proprietary platform, while there are viable free alternatives around?

···

On 9/15/22 10:57, Sreeram Venkitesh wrote:

>There's an active RoR Slack, for example, but I haven't looked for
a generic Ruby one - anyone know? Or want to start one? :grinning:

Any updates on creating a Slack/Discord for Ruby? Do you think it's worthwhile to build another community in one of these platforms?

On Fri, 2 Sept 2022 at 22:35, Hassan Schroeder > <hassan.schroeder@gmail.com> wrote:

    On Thu, Sep 1, 2022 at 11:11 PM Xavier Noria <fxn@hashref.com> wrote:

    > For whatever reason, this pattern has changed for Ruby and other
    programming languages. Stack Overflow and Discourse changed this
    for new generations.

    I'm def not "new generation" but personally I've come to prefer the
    Slack/Discord model for real-time discussion.

    There's an active RoR Slack, for example, but I haven't looked for
    a generic Ruby one - anyone know? Or want to start one? :grinning:

Agreed!

Surely someone could set up a Matrix instance easily enough?

Or Nostr?

···

On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 at 14:06, hmdne <hmdne@airmail.cc> wrote:

Why insist on using a proprietary platform, while there are viable free
alternatives around?

On 9/15/22 10:57, Sreeram Venkitesh wrote:
> >There's an active RoR Slack, for example, but I haven't looked for
> a generic Ruby one - anyone know? Or want to start one? :grinning:
>
> Any updates on creating a Slack/Discord for Ruby? Do you think it's
> worthwhile to build another community in one of these platforms?
>
> On Fri, 2 Sept 2022 at 22:35, Hassan Schroeder > > <hassan.schroeder@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2022 at 11:11 PM Xavier Noria <fxn@hashref.com> > wrote:
>
> > For whatever reason, this pattern has changed for Ruby and other
> programming languages. Stack Overflow and Discourse changed this
> for new generations.
>
> I'm def not "new generation" but personally I've come to prefer the
> Slack/Discord model for real-time discussion.
>
> There's an active RoR Slack, for example, but I haven't looked for
> a generic Ruby one - anyone know? Or want to start one? :grinning:
>

Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request@ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>
<http://lists.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ruby-talk&gt;

Existing Discord servers:

Ruby: Ruby

Rails: Ruby on Rails

-gf-

1 Like

There's a Discourse mirror. Really enjoyable.

https://rubytalk.org/

Abinoam Jr.

···

Em qui., 15 de set. de 2022 às 10:25, Gerard Fowley <gerard.fowley@iqeo.net> escreveu:

Existing Discord servers:

Ruby: Ruby

Rails: Ruby on Rails

-gf-

Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request@ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>
<http://lists.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ruby-talk&gt;

Hello Users

Greetings of the Day
Hope you're doing well

I am a fresher in Ruby.
Hope I Will do great things in Ruby.
Wish me Luck

···

On Fri, Sep 2, 2022, 7:40 AM Martin DeMello <martindemello@gmail.com> wrote:

Like lots of other people I miss the active days of the mailing list (and
I'm not even sure where the conversation went! I know other communities
have moved to discourse but there doesn't seem to be a ruby discourse
instance, and the subreddit isn't particularly active), and would be happy
to do my part in helping revive the discussion, but that assumes people
want to be having discussions in the first place :slight_smile:

More concretely, would whoever is still lurking on this list like to see
things like
- Links to interesting ruby blog posts
- Random project highlights
- Return of the weekly ruby quiz
- What people are using ruby for these days
- Something else?

martin

Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request@ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>
<http://lists.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ruby-talk&gt;

That is indeed nice! Better searchability too.

martin

···

On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 7:37 AM Abinoam Praxedes Marques Junior < abinoam@gmail.com> wrote:

There's a Discourse mirror. Really enjoyable.

https://rubytalk.org/

what do people want to talk about in here? - #14 by Allan_Bowe

Abinoam Jr.

Em qui., 15 de set. de 2022 às 10:25, Gerard Fowley < > gerard.fowley@iqeo.net> escreveu:

Existing Discord servers:

Ruby: Ruby

Rails: Ruby on Rails

-gf-

Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request@ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>
<http://lists.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ruby-talk&gt;

Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request@ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>
<http://lists.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ruby-talk&gt;