interesting article from DHH (Rails creator), Ruby history

"The primary concern for Mats was the compiler in the human brain. When you
optimize for that compiler, the human brain, you end up with a completely
different language and you end up with a completely different approach to
language design in a whole way that the thing feels and is constructed.
Even that word feel is a thing that now gets evaluated on at least at par
if not put higher than memory efficient, runtime performance, and all these
other engineering terms you can use to describe whether a programming
language is good or is not good. These were factors, but they were
secondary factors to how does it feel to be a Ruby programmer? What do Ruby
programs end up looking like?"

···

--
A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he
is to be ultimately at peace with himself.
- Abraham Maslow

Oh, thank heavens that it's this article.

I agree with that thought completely. In fact, I recently coined a new term (eventual blog post to follow) - YAGFI (You Ain't Gonna Feel It)... in today's world, in most applications, optimising for humans might mean that you give up something in efficiency but You Ain't Gonna Feel It. Running on a PC with 16GB RAM, it won't matter for most applications that your code takes up an extra 300MB. Running on a modern CPU and it won't matter to many that it takes 0.3s ~ 3s longer. You Ain't Gonna Feel It.

But if it takes you 2 days to write some code vs 2hr in Ruby - you will feel it!

I need to make the narrative more coherent perhaps but hopefully you get what I mean :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
Mohit.
2021-12-22 | 10:37 am.

···

On 2021-12-22 2:34 am, Sean Felipe Wolfe wrote:

https://flagsmith.com/podcast/david-heinemeier-hansson-ruby-on-rails/

"The primary concern for Mats was the compiler in the human brain. When you optimize for that compiler, the human brain, you end up with a completely different language and you end up with a completely different approach to language design in a whole way that the thing feels and is constructed. Even that word feel is a thing that now gets evaluated on at least at par if not put higher than memory efficient, runtime performance, and all these other engineering terms you can use to describe whether a programming language is good or is not good. These were factors, but they were secondary factors to how does it feel to be a Ruby programmer? What do Ruby programs end up looking like?"