Compiling C extensions with MSVC

Thanks, David, that was a much cleaner way of doing it. However, I am still getting the exact same error. I believe it has something to do with the ruby source. You said to include a folder that would default to Dev\language\ruby\src etc., but no such folder exists on my system. I'm assuming that this source was what you should use to build ruby. I did not build ruby myself, I downloaded a pre-built ruby for windows that has no source in it. So, I downloaded the ruby source from the website, which made a folder called C:\ruby-1.8.3, which had several .c files in it. So instead of the Dev\language thing I just replaced that with C:\ruby-1.8.3. Apparently that was not the correct thing to do. Otherwise, I did everything else exactly as you said. Is there something that I'm missing?

···

David Koontz <david@koontzfamily.org> wrote:
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 16:28:50 +0900
Subject: Re: Compiling C extensions with MSVC
To: ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org (ruby-talk ML)

Hey Eric, I just went through all this myself. I did a write up that
should hopefully guide you through the process.
http://www.koontzfamily.org/david/blog/?p=230

HTH,
David Koontz

Hello,
I would very much like to be able to compile a C extension for Ruby using MSVC, but I am coming across many problems. First of all, I am using extconf.rb with nothing but a create_makefile() statement. When it creates the makefile and I try to run it, it complains about not being able to find header files and libraries. So I went into the makefile and manually changed things so that it would include everything that it asked for. However, I am now getting an error that says:

c_lib-i386-mswin32.def : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol Init_c_lib
c_lib.lib : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
LINK : fatal error LNK1141: failure during build of exports file
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

"c_lib" is the name of the extension and .c file. I believe this may have something to do with it asking me to link a library called msvcrt.lib, which was located in a directed called amd64 or ia64. I'm not sure what these two things mean, but I know that they do not work with my system. I believe the one that works for me is x86. However, those two directories were the only one that had msvcrt.lib.

---------------------------------
Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.

You are correct that the line:
?-with-ruby-include=C:\Dev\languages\ruby\src\ruby-1.8.3
is meant to be replaced with the path to the ruby source, wherever that may be
on your system. As for the error you are getting, since that is a linker error
I really don't think the problem is with the ruby source setup. It looks like
your compiled c_lib file doesn't have the correct method signature that the
linker is looking for. I assume you included an Init_c_lib function in your
extension that created your module using rb_define_module? If that's still not
fixing it then could you please email me your module's source and I'll give a
shot at compiling it or if it's not huge just post it here.

David Koontz

···

Thanks, David, that was a much cleaner way of doing it. However, I am still getting the exact same error. I believe it has something to do with the ruby source. You said to include a folder that would default to Dev\language\ruby\src etc., but no such folder exists on my system. I'm assuming that this source was what you should use to build ruby. I did not build ruby myself, I downloaded a pre-built ruby for windows that has no source in it. So, I downloaded the ruby source from the website, which made a folder called C:\ruby-1.8.3, which had several .c files in it. So instead of the Dev\language thing I just replaced that with C:\ruby-1.8.3. Apparently that was not the correct thing to do. Otherwise, I did everything else exactly as you said. Is there something that I'm missing?

David Koontz <david@koontzfamily.org> wrote:
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 16:28:50 +0900
Subject: Re: Compiling C extensions with MSVC
To: ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org (ruby-talk ML)

Hey Eric, I just went through all this myself. I did a write up that
should hopefully guide you through the process.
http://www.koontzfamily.org/david/blog/?p=230

HTH,
David Koontz

Hello,
I would very much like to be able to compile a C extension for Ruby using MSVC, but I am coming across many problems. First of all, I am using extconf.rb with nothing but a create_makefile() statement. When it creates the makefile and I try to run it, it complains about not being able to find header files and libraries. So I went into the makefile and manually changed things so that it would include everything that it asked for. However, I am now getting an error that says:

c_lib-i386-mswin32.def : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol Init_c_lib
c_lib.lib : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
LINK : fatal error LNK1141: failure during build of exports file
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

"c_lib" is the name of the extension and .c file. I believe this may have something to do with it asking me to link a library called msvcrt.lib, which was located in a directed called amd64 or ia64. I'm not sure what these two things mean, but I know that they do not work with my system. I believe the one that works for me is x86. However, those two directories were the only one that had msvcrt.lib.