Tutorial directory


(Simon Strandgaard) #1

I visited Lua’s Tutorial Directory and got the feeling that Ruby should
have such place too. This would be a good place to make contributions.
I hope a few of us have some (not yet allocated) sparetime to put into it.

At the moment Ruby’s directory is rather empty.
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?TutorialDirectory

try compare above with Lua’s tutorial directory.
http://lua-users.org/wiki/TutorialDirectory

···


Simon Strandgaard


(James Britt) #2

Simon Strandgaard wrote:

I visited Lua’s Tutorial Directory and got the feeling that Ruby should
have such place too. This would be a good place to make contributions.
I hope a few of us have some (not yet allocated) sparetime to put into it.

At the moment Ruby’s directory is rather empty.
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?TutorialDirectory

try compare above with Lua’s tutorial directory.
http://lua-users.org/wiki/TutorialDirectory

Not looking to knock another language or site, but a cursory glance
shows, for example, that at least some of these Lua “tutorials” are a
few paragraphs at best. Pick any chapter from the online PickAxe and
you have the equivalent.

There is also a list of online Ruby articles on ruby-doc.org:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/articles/

Not all are tutorials in any meaningful sense of the word, but there are
a number of them there.

(The amount of information on ruby-doc has grown quite a bit since it
was started, so a redesign/refactoring is on my elusive To Do list.
Certainly it should be much easier to locate information by topic,
author, article type, and so on.)

James Britt


(Chris Pine) #3

When looking at other languages, I find myself looking for their “pickaxe”.
I’m not looking for lots of tutorials (most of which are totally unhelpful),
just one GOOD one.

Also, is anyone even looking at that particular Ruby tutorial directory? I
didn’t even know it existed. Someone new to Ruby certainly wouldn’t find
themselves there; they would find themselves being pointed to the pickaxe
again and again.

I guess I just don’t see the need being filled by that particular page.

Perhaps I’m missing something?

Chris


(Laurent Julliard) #4

sidenote: you could add

slides about ruby/gnome2 recently shown at FOSDEM

···

il Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:44:35 +0900, James Britt jamesUNDERBARb@neurogami.com ha scritto::

There is also a list of online Ruby articles on ruby-doc.org:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/articles/


(Charles Comstock) #5

James Britt wrote:

Simon Strandgaard wrote:

I visited Lua’s Tutorial Directory and got the feeling that Ruby should
have such place too. This would be a good place to make contributions.
I hope a few of us have some (not yet allocated) sparetime to put into
it.

At the moment Ruby’s directory is rather empty.
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?TutorialDirectory

try compare above with Lua’s tutorial directory.
http://lua-users.org/wiki/TutorialDirectory

Not looking to knock another language or site, but a cursory glance
shows, for example, that at least some of these Lua “tutorials” are a
few paragraphs at best. Pick any chapter from the online PickAxe and
you have the equivalent.

There is also a list of online Ruby articles on ruby-doc.org:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/articles/

Not all are tutorials in any meaningful sense of the word, but there are
a number of them there.

(The amount of information on ruby-doc has grown quite a bit since it
was started, so a redesign/refactoring is on my elusive To Do list.
Certainly it should be much easier to locate information by topic,
author, article type, and so on.)

James Britt

Is there any chance any of these articles can be subsequently mirrored
to the std-lib.org site? I notice a few of these are now dead links?

Maybe even a pdf convert, in case someone complains about losing the
sidebars and whatnot?

Charles Comstock


(James Britt) #6

Charles Comstock wrote:

Is there any chance any of these articles can be subsequently mirrored
to the std-lib.org site? I notice a few of these are now dead links?

I could archive mirrors at ruby-doc.org. Google cache and the Wayback
Machine may come in handy for retrieving missing articles.

It might be nice, too, if people sent me articles, tutorials, whatever,
to be hosted at ruby-doc.org to begin with, to try to get as much
documentation in one place.

James