Templating system

(Jay Anderson) #1

At work we use a tool (Rational SoDA for Word) to automatically create
our documentation. Most people I've spoken to are quite unhappy with it
because it's slow and buggy (it crashes, runs out of memory fairly
often and it somewhat inconsistant). I've had to use it the past few
weeks to automatically generate our documentation out of Rational Rose.
One thing that is nice about Rose however is that all of the
information we need to generate our documents can be got through
windows OLE. I've tested it with some toy scripts with ruby and it
works wonderfuly. I know there's eruby which is used for the web. Are
there any general purpose templating systems made for ruby? (I saw this
link on OSnews today:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-pythcheetah/?ca=dgr-lnxw07PythonCheetah).
Or is it possible to get eruby to generate general purpose documents
(I've looked into this briefly but haven't got this figured out yet,
pointers here would be useful too). I think if I can get it into a
LaTeX form or HTML I can convert it to the formats we need for
deliverables. Thanks for the help!

Horndude77

(Devin Mullins) #2

horndude77@gmail.com wrote:

Are
there any general purpose templating systems made for ruby?

http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/erb/rdoc/index.html

(And others, I'm sure.)

Devin

(Ara.T.Howard) #3

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/kwartz/
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/misen/

hth.

-a

···

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 horndude77@gmail.com wrote:

At work we use a tool (Rational SoDA for Word) to automatically create
our documentation. Most people I've spoken to are quite unhappy with it
because it's slow and buggy (it crashes, runs out of memory fairly
often and it somewhat inconsistant). I've had to use it the past few
weeks to automatically generate our documentation out of Rational Rose.
One thing that is nice about Rose however is that all of the
information we need to generate our documents can be got through
windows OLE. I've tested it with some toy scripts with ruby and it
works wonderfuly. I know there's eruby which is used for the web. Are
there any general purpose templating systems made for ruby? (I saw this
link on OSnews today:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-pythcheetah/?ca=dgr-lnxw07PythonCheetah).
Or is it possible to get eruby to generate general purpose documents
(I've looked into this briefly but haven't got this figured out yet,
pointers here would be useful too). I think if I can get it into a
LaTeX form or HTML I can convert it to the formats we need for
deliverables. Thanks for the help!

Horndude77

--

email :: ara [dot] t [dot] howard [at] noaa [dot] gov
phone :: 303.497.6469
Your life dwells amoung the causes of death Like a lamp standing in a strong breeze. --Nagarjuna

===============================================================================

(James Edward Gray II) #4

ERuby is actually a general purpose tool. And as Devin has already pointed out with a link, its little brother ERb is a standard library.

James Edward Gray II

···

On Aug 12, 2005, at 9:01 PM, horndude77@gmail.com wrote:

I know there's eruby which is used for the web. Are
there any general purpose templating systems made for ruby?

(Jay Anderson) #5

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm still pretty new to ruby and hadn't
heard of ERB but, I think it will do nicely. The docs are quite useful.
Nice job! I'll be sure to consult them often. Thanks again!

-----Horndude77

(James Britt) #6

Devin Mullins wrote:

···

horndude77@gmail.com wrote:

Are
there any general purpose templating systems made for ruby?

http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/erb/rdoc/index.html

Better choice:

http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/erb/rdoc/classes/ERB.html

James

--

http://www.ruby-doc.org - The Ruby Documentation Site
http://www.rubyxml.com - News, Articles, and Listings for Ruby & XML
http://www.rubystuff.com - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
http://www.jamesbritt.com - Playing with Better Toys

(Jeff Wood) #7

Also, there is PageTemplate ... available through gem & via direct download.

2.1.2 is available now, and 2.2 is coming soon ... Damn'd simple and
easy to use.

http://www.coolnamehere.com/

j.

···

On 8/16/05, James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:

Devin Mullins wrote:
> horndude77@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Are
>> there any general purpose templating systems made for ruby?
>>
> http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/erb/rdoc/index.html
>

Better choice:

http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/erb/rdoc/classes/ERB.html

James

--

http://www.ruby-doc.org - The Ruby Documentation Site
http://www.rubyxml.com - News, Articles, and Listings for Ruby & XML
http://www.rubystuff.com - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
http://www.jamesbritt.com - Playing with Better Toys

--
"So long, and thanks for all the fish"

Jeff Wood

(Paul) #8

have alook at the book Code Generation in Action.
Shows how to use Ruby & erb to generate all sorts of code.
http://www.manning.com/books/herrington

(Tom Copeland) #9

Yup, and Jack Herrington (the author of that book) has put some of his
code on RubyForge:

http://rubyforge.org/users/jherr/

Yours,

Tom

···

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 17:31 +0900, Paul wrote:

have alook at the book Code Generation in Action.
Shows how to use Ruby & erb to generate all sorts of code.
http://www.manning.com/books/herrington