Ruby-1.9.2-p0 fails to to build

I am trying to get ruby set up on a gumstix overo running angstrom linux
with a gnome desktop. I keep getting an error during make that I am sure
is a basic beginner issue that I seem to not be able to sort out. It
always gives me this error:
gcc -O3 -ggdb -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-parentheses
-Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wno-missing-field-initializers
-Wno-long-long -fPIC -I. -I.ext/include/armv7l-linux-eabi -I./include
-I. -DRUBY_EXPORT -o enum.o -c enum.c
gcc -O3 -ggdb -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-parentheses
-Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wno-missing-field-initializers
-Wno-long-long -fPIC -I. -I.ext/include/armv7l-linux-eabi -I./include
-I. -DRUBY_EXPORT -o enumerator.o -c enumerator.c
echo executable host ruby is required. use --with-baseruby option.;
false ./tool/generic_erb.rb -c -o known_errors.inc
./template/known_errors.inc.tmpl ./defs/known_errors.def
executable host ruby is required. use --with-baseruby option.
make: *** [known_errors.inc] Error 1

Here is how i did the configure:
./configure --prefix=/opt/metasploit3 --enable-pthread --enable-shared
I have also tried with just ./configure and still get the same problem
as above. Configuring either way goes through fine its in the make where
it fails.

I have tried during configure and make to add the --with-baseruby and
neither gives me a completed make to install. What am I missing here?
Thanks for any help and please feel free to ask me anymore info that I
may have forgotten. Also I tried searching online and dont see the
--with-baseruby option anywhere

···

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

You're missing an existing ruby. Unfortunately, the current build requires an existing ruby to bootstrap. Install one (any version) via a package manager and do your build. I believe install doesn't have this requirement so you can probably uninstall the packaged ruby before you install your hand-built ruby.

···

On Sep 29, 2010, at 20:23 , Jl Jl wrote:

I have tried during configure and make to add the --with-baseruby and
neither gives me a completed make to install. What am I missing here?

Ryan Davis wrote:

You're missing an existing ruby. Unfortunately, the current build
requires an existing ruby to bootstrap. Install one (any version) via a
package manager and do your build. I believe install doesn't have this
requirement so you can probably uninstall the packaged ruby before you
install your hand-built ruby.

Ahhh ok thanks for the info hadnt ever seen that before. I will build an
older version, there is no real package management system for my setup
so will just compile from an older source.

Thanks again

···

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/\.

And those of us who build everything from source and have no package
managers do, ... what?

Regards,

Jeremy Henty

···

On 2010-09-30, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby@zenspider.com> wrote:

On Sep 29, 2010, at 20:23 , Jl Jl wrote:

I have tried during configure and make to add the --with-baseruby
and neither gives me a completed make to install. What am I missing
here?

You're missing an existing ruby. Unfortunately, the current build
requires an existing ruby to bootstrap. Install one (any version)
via a package manager and do your build.

Download Ruby 1.8 source code, compile it, install it.

Then use that as base ruby and download and compile Ruby 1.9

···

On Sep 30, 12:59 pm, Jeremy Henty <onepo...@starurchin.org> wrote:

On 2010-09-30, Ryan Davis <ryand-r...@zenspider.com> wrote:

> On Sep 29, 2010, at 20:23 , Jl Jl wrote:

>> I have tried during configure and make to add the --with-baseruby
>> and neither gives me a completed make to install. What am I missing
>> here?

> You're missing an existing ruby. Unfortunately, the current build
> requires an existing ruby to bootstrap. Install one (any version)
> via a package manager and do your build.

And those of us who build everything from source and have no package
managers do, ... what?

--
Luis Lavena

To clarify: you compile Ruby 1.8 for your current platform and *then*
make Ruby 1.9 targeting the platform you're trying to compile to.

HTH,

···

On Sep 30, 2:38 pm, Luis Lavena <luislav...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sep 30, 12:59 pm, Jeremy Henty <onepo...@starurchin.org> wrote:

> And those of us who build everything from source and have no package
> managers do, ... what?

Download Ruby 1.8 source code, compile it, install it.

Then use that as base ruby and download and compile Ruby 1.9

--
Luis Lavena

Thanks. Will that work just for now, or indefinitely? What happens
when/if the build requires the host to support a Ruby-1.9 specific
feature?

Regards,

Jeremy Henty

···

On 2010-09-30, Luis Lavena <luislavena@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sep 30, 12:59 pm, Jeremy Henty <onepo...@starurchin.org> wrote:

On 2010-09-30, Ryan Davis <ryand-r...@zenspider.com> wrote:

> ... Unfortunately, the current build requires an existing ruby
> to bootstrap. Install one (any version) via a package manager
> and do your build.

And those of us who build everything from source and have no
package managers do, ... what?

Download Ruby 1.8 source code, compile it, install it.

Then use that as base ruby and download and compile Ruby 1.9

worry about it when it happens.

···

On Sep 30, 2010, at 12:55 , Jeremy Henty wrote:

Thanks. Will that work just for now, or indefinitely? What happens
when/if the build requires the host to support a Ruby-1.9 specific
feature?