Programming the Lego robots using Ruby technology

Do anyone knows if there is a Ruby API to program the Lego robots?

There is a Java environment to accomplish such a task.

http://java.sun.com/features/2002/05/robot.html

More on the subject at:
http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/lego/challenge/index.html

Main page: http://mindstorms.lego.com/eng/default.asp?domainredir=www.legomindstorms.com

Thank you

Victor

Victor Reyes forgot to Google "Lego Ruby" and asked:

Do anyone knows if there is a Ruby API to program the Lego robots?

http://rubyforge.org/projects/lego-mindstorms/

daz

Victor Reyes wrote:

Hello,

Do anyone knows if there is a Ruby API to program the Lego robots?

There is a Java environment to accomplish such a task.

I remember the "Bot-Kit", written in Dolphin Smalltalk by Andy Bower
of Object-Arts. http://www.object-arts.com
While the links found when googling for it right now seem to be dead, you
could probably ask for it on comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin or drop Andy a
mail.
This "Bot-Kit" was pretty cool and I had a lot of fun with it a few years
ago.

Good luck!

Ingo

Thank you Daz, I needed That!

···

On 7/10/05, daz <dooby@d10.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

Victor Reyes forgot to Google "Lego Ruby" and asked:
>
> Do anyone knows if there is a Ruby API to program the Lego robots?

http://rubyforge.org/projects/lego-mindstorms/

daz

HI Victor,

···

--- Victor Reyes <victor.reyes@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you Daz, I needed That!

On 7/10/05, daz <dooby@d10.karoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Victor Reyes forgot to Google "Lego Ruby" and asked:
> >
> > Do anyone knows if there is a Ruby API to program the Lego robots?
>
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/lego-mindstorms/

Please note that it is Windows based API to CONTROL the robots,
not PROGRAM the robots.

-- shanko

____________________________________________________
Sell on Yahoo! Auctions – no fees. Bid on great items.
http://auctions.yahoo.com/

I see.
I thought that I could write a Ruby procedure with specific directives
to control the robot. Then the procedure would be downloaded "into"
the robot for its execution.
I watched a TV demo of the Lego Robot where directives where
programmed and loaded into the Robot. Things such as: "When hitting
and object, go on reverse" and more were used.

I guess I need to read the doc.

Thank you

···

On 7/10/05, Shashank Date <shanko_date@yahoo.com> wrote:

HI Victor,

--- Victor Reyes <victor.reyes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Daz, I needed That!
>
> On 7/10/05, daz <dooby@d10.karoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Victor Reyes forgot to Google "Lego Ruby" and asked:
> > >
> > > Do anyone knows if there is a Ruby API to program the Lego robots?
> >
> > http://rubyforge.org/projects/lego-mindstorms/

Please note that it is Windows based API to CONTROL the robots,
not PROGRAM the robots.

-- shanko

____________________________________________________
Sell on Yahoo! Auctions – no fees. Bid on great items.
http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Hi,

I see.
I thought that I could write a Ruby procedure with specific directives
to control the robot. Then the procedure would be downloaded "into"
the robot for its execution.

Yes, that would be the next step. Quite a big step though, since you would
need a way to translate not just the commands to their equivalent bytes codes
(which is realtively easy) but also the control structures (if-then-else, loops
etc). The current implementation uses Ruby's control structures and hence
can only control.

I watched a TV demo of the Lego Robot where directives where
programmed and loaded into the Robot. Things such as: "When hitting
and object, go on reverse" and more were used.

What were they using to code the "directives" in this demo? If
it is the IDE that comes with the kit, then it generates the
intermediate Mindscript program which gets compiled into byte code.

I guess I need to read the doc.

Please let me know if you need more details.

Thank you

Thanks,
-- shanko

···

--- Victor Reyes <victor.reyes@gmail.com> wrote:

On 7/10/05, Shashank Date <shanko_date@yahoo.com> wrote:
> HI Victor,
>
> --- Victor Reyes <victor.reyes@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thank you Daz, I needed That!
> >
> > On 7/10/05, daz <dooby@d10.karoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > >
> > > Victor Reyes forgot to Google "Lego Ruby" and asked:
> > > >
> > > > Do anyone knows if there is a Ruby API to program the Lego robots?
> > >
> > > http://rubyforge.org/projects/lego-mindstorms/
>
> Please note that it is Windows based API to CONTROL the robots,
> not PROGRAM the robots.
>
> -- shanko
>
>
>
>
>
> ____________________________________________________
> Sell on Yahoo! Auctions – no fees. Bid on great items.
> http://auctions.yahoo.com/
>
>

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

Well, what I actually witnessed on TV was no more than 2 minutes of a
probably one hour show. A program was written on a workstation
(Windows perhaps) and the Lego was connected to the system probably
via a USB cable. The pgm was downloaded into the Lego and a quick test
showed the device running, hitting a wall and returning. I just tried
to remember Lego robot for later follow up, which is what I am doing
now with everyone here on this forum.

I will purchase the device this week and I am looking forward to a fun summer.

Thank you

Victor

···

On 7/11/05, Shashank Date <shanko_date@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi,

--- Victor Reyes <victor.reyes@gmail.com> wrote:

> I see.
> I thought that I could write a Ruby procedure with specific directives
> to control the robot. Then the procedure would be downloaded "into"
> the robot for its execution.

Yes, that would be the next step. Quite a big step though, since you would
need a way to translate not just the commands to their equivalent bytes codes
(which is realtively easy) but also the control structures (if-then-else, loops
etc). The current implementation uses Ruby's control structures and hence
can only control.

> I watched a TV demo of the Lego Robot where directives where
> programmed and loaded into the Robot. Things such as: "When hitting
> and object, go on reverse" and more were used.

What were they using to code the "directives" in this demo? If
it is the IDE that comes with the kit, then it generates the
intermediate Mindscript program which gets compiled into byte code.

> I guess I need to read the doc.

Please let me know if you need more details.

> Thank you

Thanks,
-- shanko

> On 7/10/05, Shashank Date <shanko_date@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > HI Victor,
> >
> > --- Victor Reyes <victor.reyes@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Thank you Daz, I needed That!
> > >
> > > On 7/10/05, daz <dooby@d10.karoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Victor Reyes forgot to Google "Lego Ruby" and asked:
> > > > >
> > > > > Do anyone knows if there is a Ruby API to program the Lego robots?
> > > >
> > > > http://rubyforge.org/projects/lego-mindstorms/
> >
> > Please note that it is Windows based API to CONTROL the robots,
> > not PROGRAM the robots.
> >
> > -- shanko
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ____________________________________________________
> > Sell on Yahoo! Auctions – no fees. Bid on great items.
> > http://auctions.yahoo.com/
> >
> >
>

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com