PDF conversion with ruby/linux

Unfortunately I have a project which has the requirement that users may submit several different document types (currently at least .doc and .ppt) which should be converted on the fly to pdf available for immediate preview. Can anyone point me in the direction of a library or SDK that would allow me to do this with Ruby on a linux box? There is a budget for this aspect of the project so commercial products are viable.

Thanks,

tfw

Floyd Wright wrote:

Unfortunately I have a project which has the requirement that users may submit several different document types (currently at least .doc and .ppt) which should be converted on the fly to pdf available for immediate preview. Can anyone point me in the direction of a library or SDK that would allow me to do this with Ruby on a linux box? There is a budget for this aspect of the project so commercial products are viable.

There's a tutorial over on xml.com for doing it with an OpenOffice macro from the command line, which presumably you could kick off from a Ruby script.

It's here:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2006/01/11/from-microsoft-to-openoffice.html

I don't know how good Impress is at reading .ppt, but it's worth a shot. I was evaluating it for .doc to .html, but then I found wvWare and used that instead.

···

--
Alex

I didn't even think of open office--a very interesting alternative that I think just may end up working out. Thanks a lot for the tip.

tfw

Alex Young wrote:

···

Floyd Wright wrote:

There's a tutorial over on xml.com for doing it with an OpenOffice macro from the command line, which presumably you could kick off from a Ruby script.

It's here:
Moving to OpenOffice: Batch Converting Legacy Documents

I don't know how good Impress is at reading .ppt, but it's worth a shot. I was evaluating it for .doc to .html, but then I found wvWare and used that instead.

Floyd Wright wrote:

I didn't even think of open office--a very interesting alternative that I think just may end up working out. Thanks a lot for the tip.

No worries. It's also got an RPC interface which might help, but I don't know if there's a Ruby binding to it.

···

--
Alex