Hpricot and xpath

tag1.rb:6: undefined method `xpath' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
Do you see the nil in that line? Where is the nil coming from? Is the method
before the .xpath, on line 6, possibly returning a nil and not an Elem?

After pondering that, switch '#header' to '.header'!

Hi Phlip,
Thank you for your dot!!!
I follow your suggestion and change to '.header' or ".header" instead of "#header" and and it works. Ruby returns the tag's path like this: /tag1/tag2/div. But I see nowhere in the document about using "." and "#" in xpath() or css_path(). Do I miss something in the docucment?
Li

···

Subject: Re: Hpricot and xpath

chen li wrote:

I follow your suggestion and change to '.header' or ".header" instead of "#header" and and it works. Ruby returns the tag's path like this: /tag1/tag2/div. But I see nowhere in the document about using "." and "#" in xpath() or css_path(). Do I miss something in the docucment?

That's just the thing. I studied the crap out of HTML, XHTML, and light CSS, and never learned until encountering assert_select that CSS has its own query notation. Others with different career paths have learned nothing but - and they all assume you know the same things.

Hpricot can handle _light_ XPath, and can handle various CSS Selector notations. The documenters have all assumed that someone else taught you how they work. So google for "CSS Selector", without x-ref'ing Hpricot!

···

--
   Phlip