Gem install of mongrel_cluster fails

root@rhaprpt:~# gem install mongrel_cluster --include-dependencies
Select which gem to install for your platform (i486-linux)
  1. mongrel 1.1.4 (x86-mswin32-60)
  2. mongrel 1.1.4 (java)
  3. mongrel 1.1.4 (ruby)
  4. mongrel 1.1.3 (i386-mswin32)
  5. mongrel 1.1.3 (java)
  6. mongrel 1.1.3 (ruby)
  7. Skip this gem
  8. Cancel installation
> 3
Select which gem to install for your platform (i486-linux)
  1. fastthread 1.0.1 (mswin32)
  2. fastthread 1.0.1 (ruby)
  3. fastthread 1.0.1 (i386-mswin32)
  4. Skip this gem
  5. Cancel installation
> 2
Building native extensions. This could take a while...
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
     ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

ruby extconf.rb install mongrel_cluster --include-dependencies
extconf.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
  from extconf.rb:1

Gem files will remain installed in /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/fastthread-1.0.1 for inspection.
Results logged to /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/fastthread-1.0.1/ext/fastthread/gem_make.out
root@rhaprpt:~#

----snip----
I got the suggestion to install this from a post on using capistrano:

http://blog.codahale.com/2006/06/19/time-for-a-grown-up-server-rails-mongrel-apache-capistrano-and-you/

Xeno Campanoli wrote:

root@rhaprpt:~# gem install mongrel_cluster --include-dependencies
Select which gem to install for your platform (i486-linux)
1. mongrel 1.1.4 (x86-mswin32-60)
2. mongrel 1.1.4 (java)
3. mongrel 1.1.4 (ruby)
4. mongrel 1.1.3 (i386-mswin32)
5. mongrel 1.1.3 (java)
6. mongrel 1.1.3 (ruby)
7. Skip this gem
8. Cancel installation
> 3
Select which gem to install for your platform (i486-linux)
1. fastthread 1.0.1 (mswin32)
2. fastthread 1.0.1 (ruby)
3. fastthread 1.0.1 (i386-mswin32)
4. Skip this gem
5. Cancel installation
> 2
Building native extensions. This could take a while...
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
    ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

ruby extconf.rb install mongrel_cluster --include-dependencies
extconf.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
    from extconf.rb:1

Install the ruby-dev package (if you are on Ubuntu, for example). That
includes mkmf.

- --
Phillip Gawlowski
Twitter: twitter.com/cynicalryan
Blog: http://justarubyist.blogspot.com

~ "I propose we leave math to the machines and go play outside."
~ --- Calvin

Phillip Gawlowski wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I am on a hardy install now, and apt-cache search 'ruby-dev' returns nothing, though apt-cache ruby | grep dev yields a ruby1.9-dev, but I am using 1.8.6.

xc

···

Xeno Campanoli wrote:
> root@rhaprpt:~# gem install mongrel_cluster --include-dependencies
> Select which gem to install for your platform (i486-linux)
> 1. mongrel 1.1.4 (x86-mswin32-60)
> 2. mongrel 1.1.4 (java)
> 3. mongrel 1.1.4 (ruby)
> 4. mongrel 1.1.3 (i386-mswin32)
> 5. mongrel 1.1.3 (java)
> 6. mongrel 1.1.3 (ruby)
> 7. Skip this gem
> 8. Cancel installation
> > 3
> Select which gem to install for your platform (i486-linux)
> 1. fastthread 1.0.1 (mswin32)
> 2. fastthread 1.0.1 (ruby)
> 3. fastthread 1.0.1 (i386-mswin32)
> 4. Skip this gem
> 5. Cancel installation
> > 2
> Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
> ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> ruby extconf.rb install mongrel_cluster --include-dependencies
> extconf.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
> from extconf.rb:1

Install the ruby-dev package (if you are on Ubuntu, for example). That
includes mkmf.

- --
Phillip Gawlowski
Twitter: twitter.com/cynicalryan
Blog: http://justarubyist.blogspot.com

~ "I propose we leave math to the machines and go play outside."
~ --- Calvin
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.8 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkgqDGgACgkQbtAgaoJTgL+iWACdHXbrWpeefuA8+BEzNAjPpckv
Wt8AoIEUq1v397iVmo2D0BOZtEC7Z+CZ
=odBK
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Xeno Campanoli wrote:

Phillip Gawlowski wrote:

I am on a hardy install now, and apt-cache search 'ruby-dev' returns
nothing, though apt-cache ruby | grep dev yields a ruby1.9-dev, but I am
using 1.8.6.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/ruby1.8-dev

This is the package you seek.

- --
Phillip Gawlowski
Twitter: twitter.com/cynicalryan
Blog: http://justarubyist.blogspot.com

~ - You know you've been hacking too long when...
...you start reading car license plates as machine code. JMP 451, HCF 919
(this one really shook me up), HLT 772 (Halt instruction...gotta reboot the
truck again!), FOXXY (um, don't know that one...must be a floating point
instruction).

Phillip Gawlowski wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Xeno Campanoli wrote:
> Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
>> I am on a hardy install now, and apt-cache search 'ruby-dev' returns
>> nothing, though apt-cache ruby | grep dev yields a ruby1.9-dev, but I am
>> using 1.8.6.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/ruby1.8-dev

This is the package you seek.

- --
Phillip Gawlowski
Twitter: twitter.com/cynicalryan
Blog: http://justarubyist.blogspot.com

~ - You know you've been hacking too long when...
...you start reading car license plates as machine code. JMP 451, HCF 919
(this one really shook me up), HLT 772 (Halt instruction...gotta reboot the
truck again!), FOXXY (um, don't know that one...must be a floating point
instruction).
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.8 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkgqFDYACgkQbtAgaoJTgL9dkQCgpoW7m5rdBJkQEUNGXV/WeG77
o4gAn2Km7XUHgGjORnHEei3qYwL80Ncr
=wfJO
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Thank you for your help Phillip. I find it this time searching for exactly that string. Anyhow, I'm installing it...well, I also needed to install make and gcc, but that I did...and it seems to have installed successfully. Presumably the continuing saga will be uneventful.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Xeno