Beginner's problem with sqlite3

It would be helpful if the sqlite3-ruby documentation offered one or two complete examples, as without these I am unable to figure out several syntax questions, so I'm having to guess, and I'm not guessing right.

I'm inputing a simple text file and trying to use it to generate an table containing 4 fields (columns). I'm tracking the program with logger.

Here's the table creation code, which I'm not entirely sure is correct, but there are no errors produced by it:

db = SQLite3::Database.new( "sqlite-demo.sqlite" )
db.execute( 'CREATE TABLE newsheap (datecol titlecol urlcol summarycol)' )

I then read four physical records into, respectively, variables date, title, url, and summary. Then I try to output them to the table with this statement, about which I feel even less certain, and it's here that the error is produced:

db.execute( 'INSERT INTO newsheap(datecol titlecol urlcol summarycol) VALUES(date title url summary)' )

The logger output this produces:
E, [2008-02-21T05:52:45.358561 #11133] ERROR -- : near "titlecol": syntax error

I've spent hours trying many variations to probe the syntax, and I keep getting the same error.

I keep thinking that I'm somehow not being clear to ruby, in the transition between ruby variables and variables in the sql statement, but I cannot find the problem. For now, I'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

Hi,
It seems you're having problems with the SQL part not the Ruby part. Check out Query Language Understood by SQLite for documentation on the syntax.

It would be helpful if the sqlite3-ruby documentation offered one or two complete examples, as without these I am unable to figure out several syntax questions, so I'm having to guess, and I'm not guessing right.

I'm inputing a simple text file and trying to use it to generate an table containing 4 fields (columns). I'm tracking the program with logger.

Here's the table creation code, which I'm not entirely sure is correct, but there are no errors produced by it:

db = SQLite3::Database.new( "sqlite-demo.sqlite" )
db.execute( 'CREATE TABLE newsheap (datecol titlecol urlcol summarycol)' )

I then read four physical records into, respectively, variables date, title, url, and summary. Then I try to output them to the table with this statement, about which I feel even less certain, and it's here that the error is produced:

db.execute( 'INSERT INTO newsheap(datecol titlecol urlcol summarycol) VALUES(date title url summary)' )

Youre SQL is incorrect, the syntax of an INSERT statement is: INSERT INTO x VALUES (). You're missing the VALUES keyword.

The logger output this produces:
E, [2008-02-21T05:52:45.358561 #11133] ERROR -- : near "titlecol": syntax error

I've spent hours trying many variations to probe the syntax, and I keep getting the same error.

I keep thinking that I'm somehow not being clear to ruby, in the transition between ruby variables and variables in the sql statement, but I cannot find the problem. For now, I'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

Hope that helps.

···

On Feb 21, 2008, at 9:03 AM, Tom Cloyd wrote:

Tom Cloyd wrote:

I would have written the sql with a few commas and a semi colon.

INSERT INTO newsheap (datecol, titlecol, urlcol, summarycol) VALUES (date, title, url, summary);

Pretty sure that's the error

Hi,

Can I give you a piece of advice ?

Check about ActiveRecord without Rails, because if you are novice with SQL, it can help you.

Example:

require "rubygems"
require "active_record"
require "logger"
require "yaml"

ActiveRecord::Base.establish_connection( YAML::load_file( 'database.yml' ) )
ActiveRecord::Base.logger = Logger.new( File.open( 'database.log', 'w' ) )
ActiveRecord::Base.colorize_logging = false

ActiveRecord::Schema.define do
  create_table :tests, :force => true do |t|
    t.column :text, :string, :limit => 32
  end
end

class Test < ActiveRecord::Base
end

newTest = Test.new
newTest.text = "first test :d"
newTest.save!

count = Test.count
if count == 0
  puts "The table 'Test' is empty"
elsif count == 1
  puts "There is one element"
else
  puts "There are #{count} elements"
end

Good luck

Stephane

Serg Koren wrote:

Hope that helps.

Probably wont. The "INSERT INTO tablename (a,b,c) VALUES (x, y, z);" syntax is valid sql. He was just missing the commas.

Serg, Peter - thank you very much. This is such an amazing list. One gets back so much help. To an amateur like me, that's very encouraging. Onward!...

Tom
(Bellingham, Washington, USA)

Peter Hickman wrote:

···

Tom Cloyd wrote:

I would have written the sql with a few commas and a semi colon.

INSERT INTO newsheap (datecol, titlecol, urlcol, summarycol) VALUES (date, title, url, summary);

Pretty sure that's the error

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tom Cloyd, MS MA, LMHC
Private practice Psychotherapist
Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< tc@tomcloyd.com >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website & psychotherapy weblog) << sleightmind.wordpress.com >> (mental health issues weblog)
<< directpathdesign.com >> (web site design & consultation)

And I add the config file for database :d

Sorry :d

database.yml (48 Bytes)

That's an excellent example :slight_smile:

-Thufir

···

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 05:14:56 +0900, Stéphane Wirtel wrote:

Check about ActiveRecord without Rails, because if you are novice with
SQL, it can help you.

Example:

That's what I get trying to help when I'm not awake. I misread his code and missed the VALUES keyword. My apologies.

···

On Feb 21, 2008, at 9:18 AM, Peter Hickman wrote:

Serg Koren wrote:

Hope that helps.

Probably wont. The "INSERT INTO tablename (a,b,c) VALUES (x, y, z);" syntax is valid sql. He was just missing the commas.

Stephanie,
  Oh this is certainly exciting, because I've been vaguely aware of ActiveRecord, and have wanted to dig into it, but wasn't sure WHEN. At your suggestion, I'm going to do it right away. And your inclusion of some code to study, adapt, etc., is very very appreciated. My gratitude is doubled. This is going to be a great week for my ruby-learning.

Thanks!

Tom

Thufir wrote:

···

SQL, it can help you.

Example:

-Thufir

--

Tom Cloyd, MS MA, LMHC
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website & psychotherapy weblog) << sleightmind.wordpress.com >> (mental health issues weblog)

Serg Koren wrote:

That's what I get trying to help when I'm not awake. I misread his code and missed the VALUES keyword. My apologies.

Actually the syntax you proposed is also valid but was not what was wrong with his code. However I would never recommend the "INSERT INTO tablename VALUES (x, y, z);" format as the it can appear to be correct but be stuffing the values into the wrong columns :frowning:

Thats just soooo much fun to debug.

Caffine good.

Stephane,

I apologize for being a a too-rapid reader, and a bit culturally ignorant as well - I inadvertently feminized your name in my reply, writing what I thought I saw. I think that to some of us native English speakers, your name looks feminine, at first glance. Clearly, it's not. I'll try to be more attentive!

Tom

···

Thufir wrote:

SQL, it can help you.

Example:

-Thufir

--

Tom Cloyd, MS MA, LMHC

Yup that's bad style and lazy coding. I always specify the column list just to avoid assumptions about the column order in the underlying table--which could change and existing code would then be wrong.

···

On Feb 21, 2008, at 10:05 AM, Peter Hickman wrote:

Serg Koren wrote:

Actually the syntax you proposed is also valid but was not what was wrong with his code. However I would never recommend the "INSERT INTO tablename VALUES (x, y, z);" format as the it can appear to be correct but be stuffing the values into the wrong columns :frowning:

Thats just soooo much fun to debug.

Caffine good.

Tom, you should check out the Sequel library as well (gem install
sequel). I've played with it a little, and it seems pretty solid.
ActiveRecord is good too, though. Both rubyize the SQL, but they both
allow you to do direct SQL queries also.

Todd

···

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 6:30 AM, Tom Cloyd <tomcloyd@comcast.net> wrote:

Stephane,

I apologize for being a a too-rapid reader, and a bit culturally
ignorant as well - I inadvertently feminized your name in my reply,
writing what I thought I saw. I think that to some of us native English
speakers, your name looks feminine, at first glance. Clearly, it's not.
I'll try to be more attentive!

Tom
>
> Thufir wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 05:14:56 +0900, Stéphane Wirtel wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>> Check about ActiveRecord without Rails, because if you are novice with
>>> SQL, it can help you.
>>>
>>> Example:
>>>
>>
>> That's an excellent example :slight_smile:
>>
>>
>> -Thufir
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>

Tom Cloyd a écrit :

Stephane,

I apologize for being a a too-rapid reader, and a bit culturally ignorant as well - I inadvertently feminized your name in my reply, writing what I thought I saw. I think that to some of us native English speakers, your name looks feminine, at first glance. Clearly, it's not. I'll try to be more attentive!

And tomorrow it's FOSDEM :d