Auto-recognize links?

In PHP I've got a few functions that will turn data into links based on
if it recognizes "http://", "www." etc etc.

How can I do this with Ruby?

For instance, in a forums setting if a user posted a link to something
like http://example.com

It'd basically turn it into a clickable link:
<a
href=&quot;http://example.com">http://example.com</a>

···

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

I think everything you'd need to do to validate and produce links should
be in the core URI class: http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/URI.html

Josh Pigford wrote:

···

In PHP I've got a few functions that will turn data into links based on
if it recognizes "http://", "www." etc etc.

How can I do this with Ruby?

For instance, in a forums setting if a user posted a link to something
like http://example.com

It'd basically turn it into a clickable link:
&lt;a
href=&quot;http://example.com">http://example.com</a>

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

I think everything you'd need to do to validate and produce links should
be in the core URI class: http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/URI.html

Interesting, did not know that. Seems bad though:
URI.extract("Visit http://google.com/.") # => ["http://google.com/."]

You could borrow code from Rails' auto_link() which handles that kind
of stuff better:
http://api.rubyonrails.com/classes/ActionView/Helpers/TextHelper.html#M001737

···

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:20 AM, Ted Han <notheory@gmail.com> wrote:

Josh Pigford wrote:

In PHP I've got a few functions that will turn data into links based on
if it recognizes "http://", "www." etc etc.

How can I do this with Ruby?

For instance, in a forums setting if a user posted a link to something
like http://example.com

It'd basically turn it into a clickable link:
&lt;a
href=&quot;http://example.com">http://example.com</a>

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

Have you looked at hpricot

···

On Oct 8, 6:09 pm, Henrik Nyh <hen...@nyh.se> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:20 AM, Ted Han <nothe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think everything you'd need to do to validate and produce links should
> be in the core URI class:http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/URI.html

Interesting, did not know that. Seems bad though:
URI.extract("Visithttp://google.com/.") # => ["http://google.com/."]

You could borrow code from Rails' auto_link() which handles that kind
of stuff better:http://api.rubyonrails.com/classes/ActionView/Helpers/TextHelper.html...

> Josh Pigford wrote:
>> In PHP I've got a few functions that will turn data into links based on
>> if it recognizes "http://", "www." etc etc.

>> How can I do this with Ruby?

>> For instance, in a forums setting if a user posted a link to something
>> likehttp://example.com

>> It'd basically turn it into a clickable link:
>> &lt;a
>> href=&quot;http://example.com">http://example.com</a>

> --
> Posted viahttp://www.ruby-forum.com/.- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -