[ANN] ShortURL 0.7.0

After a lot of procrastination, I have released ShortURL 0.7.0. I
added one service (I'm running out of those ;)), fixed the unit tests
and I started using CVS. As usual, a simple "gem install shorturl"
will do the trick :slight_smile: Enjoy!

You know, I am running out of ideas for ShortURL. I admit that it's
not a very complex library, however it seems that lately I only add
services and unit tests. Is there anything you would like to see
added? If not, I have another project I've been thinking about for a
while now that I may start implementing.

I just released ShortURL 0.8.0. It includes an improved bin/shorturl.
This one does more error recovery, has an help system and uses
UNIX-like command line switches. gem update, as usual

Vincent Foley wrote:

You know, I am running out of ideas for ShortURL. I admit that it's
not a very complex library, however it seems that lately I only add
services and unit tests. Is there anything you would like to see
added? If not, I have another project I've been thinking about for a
while now that I may start implementing.

May I recommend a WWW toplevel namespace?

Regards,

Dan

Vincent Foley wrote:

I just released ShortURL 0.8.0. It includes an improved bin/shorturl.
This one does more error recovery, has an help system and uses
UNIX-like command line switches. gem update, as usual

Why didn't you add a WWW namespace? With a "class Service" it could,
one day, be problematic.

Regards,

Dan

My thought is that is should include a command-line binary for making urls as well.

James Edward Gray II

路路路

On Sep 27, 2005, at 2:09 PM, Daniel Berger wrote:

Vincent Foley wrote:

You know, I am running out of ideas for ShortURL. I admit that it's
not a very complex library, however it seems that lately I only add
services and unit tests. Is there anything you would like to see
added? If not, I have another project I've been thinking about for a
while now that I may start implementing.

May I recommend a WWW toplevel namespace?

Oh right, I forgot about that one. Give me a few days, I'll add it.

It does. In the bin/ folder, there's a little script called shorten.
You give it an URL and an optional service (it uses RubyURL by default)
and it outputs the shortened URL.

Daniel: what do you mean a WWW namespace? Like sticking the thing in a
WWW module or something? Thanks.

Done. I thought I'd add a GUI before, but I just made a minor version
release to have the WWW namespace. 0.8.1

Oops, that shorturl, not shorten. Sorry. It's late and I need to
sleep :slight_smile:

Vincent Foley wrote:

It does. In the bin/ folder, there's a little script called shorten.
You give it an URL and an optional service (it uses RubyURL by default)
and it outputs the shortened URL.

Daniel: what do you mean a WWW namespace? Like sticking the thing in a
WWW module or something? Thanks.

Yes.

- Dan

Thanks for this Vincent - very handy.

It does. In the bin/ folder, there's a little script called shorten.
You give it an URL and an optional service (it uses RubyURL by default)
and it outputs the shortened URL.

Maybe you could just polish up the command-line tool?

For example, it might be 'nice' if it had some basic option handling. I
tried it for the first time with $ shorurl --help and it came back with
the shorturl for http://鈥揾elp/

Also something like $ shorturl --help lns returns "nil" rather than the
wholesome goodness of a more digestible error message...

<snip>

Regards,
Doug

路路路

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:36:43PM +0900, Vincent Foley wrote:

Oops, didn't know that. Excellent!

James Edward Gray II

路路路

On Sep 27, 2005, at 10:36 PM, Vincent Foley wrote:

It does. In the bin/ folder, there's a little script called shorten.
You give it an URL and an optional service (it uses RubyURL by default)
and it outputs the shortened URL.

All right, I'll get on it!