Project "Team Nopaste" has been underway for around a week now. The project's wiki page can be found at:
If you don't know what a nopaste site is please check out http://rafb.net/paste/ . Once you're familiar with it, imagine having *that* functionality for just you and your friends, coworkers, and open source groupies where:
- pastes don't expire
- pastes can be viewed in a history including diff comparisons
- pastes are categorized into projects
- users can be added to view, comment and edit pastes
- projects can be shared only amongst invited users, and if it's your project you decide!
We are going to look heavily into the Team Nopaste being centered around Ruby on Rails. RoR seems to allow the flexibility and the cross-platform nature we are looking for, for Team Nopaste to be a success, plus it's written in Ruby itself.
For anything related to the project please refer to the wiki site. Feel free to add/edit information in the categories of the project that make most sense.
Moving onward, we are going to start development. aGorilla and becoded seem to be quite the database guys so they are going to start working on getting a shell of a database up and going and working with Ruby on Rails. They are looking into using Sqlite and/or MySQL.
If anyone is interested in any of the following sections please speak up so we utilize your assistance and skillset on that section. If you don't have a lot of experience in a certain area but would like to jump in and start learning by doing then we can pair you up with others:
- ideas for the project (open for anyone, little skill needed)
- web front-end design (open)
- web front-end implementation (open)
- syntax highlighting filters (open)
- code formatting filters (open)
- utilizing Diff to compare paste(s) together (open)
- database design / structure (taken; aGorilla, becoded)
- creating a rubygem package (open)
- creating an rpa package (open)
- apache configuration (open)
- getting and setting up test server(s) (taken; zdennis)
If you have any questions, comments or ideas please feel free to throw them out on our:
Mailing list - http://rubyforge.org/mail/?group_id=569
Irc channel - channel #ruby-vug on irc.freenode.net
Wiki - http://ruby-vug.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Project/TeamNopaste
Thanks for your time we look forward to collaborating on this project with you!
Zach & the Ruby Virtual Users Group