A Must Read!

I have found an excellent resource on Object Oriented Programming.

http://technical-talk.com/SoftDev/OOP/OOPBASICS.asp

Hi,

···

Am Mittwoch, 03. Okt 2007, 18:30:03 +0900 schrieb richard.james861@gmail.com:

I have found an excellent resource on Object Oriented Programming.

http://technical-talk.com/SoftDev/OOP/OOPBASICS.asp

^^^
An authority on smart software design.

Bertram

--
Bertram Scharpf
Stuttgart, Deutschland/Germany
http://www.bertram-scharpf.de

> I have found an excellent resource on Object Oriented Programming.

> http://technical-talk.com/SoftDev/OOP/OOPBASICS.asp

^^^

An authority on smart software design.

Now, now! Be nice! :slight_smile:

Me, I'm just still amazed at people who act as of OOP was something new
and exciting. It's been around since the '60s and reached heavy use (in
one form or another) starting almost 20 years ago. (I have similar
questions about people acting as if functional programming -- '50s --
were the New Deal.)

···

On Wed, 2007-03-10 at 20:50 +0900, Bertram Scharpf wrote:

--
Michael T. Richter <ttmrichter@gmail.com> (GoogleTalk:
ttmrichter@gmail.com)
Our outrage at China notwithstanding, we should remember that before
1891 the copyrights of foreigners were not protected in the United
States. (Lawrence Lessig)

Huh. I haven't seen many people claiming Roosevelt had much influence on computer science.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

PGP.sig (186 Bytes)

···

On Oct 3, 2007, at 7:53 , Michael T. Richter wrote:

(I have similar questions about people acting as if functional programming -- '50s -- were the New Deal.)

Sent: Mittwoch, 3. Oktober 2007 14:04
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: A Must Read!!!

> (I have similar questions about people acting as if functional
> programming -- '50s -- were the New Deal.)

Huh. I haven't seen many people claiming Roosevelt had much influence
on computer science.

"Since 1933, politicians and pundits have often called for a "new deal"
regarding an object. That is, they demand a completely new, large-scale
approach to a project."

Clear as mud?

···

-----Original Message-----

--
Phillip Gawlowski

Michael Glaesemann wrote:

(I have similar questions about people acting as if functional programming -- '50s -- were the New Deal.)

Huh. I haven't seen many people claiming Roosevelt had much influence on computer science.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Well ... he did fund the Manhattan Project, after all. Most of the calculations for that, however, were done by rooms full of men and women operating mechanical desk calculators, under the direction of John Von Neumann and others. These men and women were known as "computers", and in many cases had college degrees in mathematics.

The genius of Von Neumann was that he saw that such calculations could be done faster, more accurately and with lower cost electronically. But it didn't happen until *after* the Manhattan Project was over and FDR was in his grave.

···

Slide Rule

···

On Oct 3, 2007, at 10:08 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Well ... he did fund the Manhattan Project, after all. Most of the calculations for that, however, were done by rooms full of men and women operating mechanical desk calculators, under the direction of John Von Neumann and others. These men and women were known as "computers", and in many cases had college degrees in mathematics.

The genius of Von Neumann was that he saw that such calculations could be done faster, more accurately and with lower cost electronically. But it didn't happen until *after* the Manhattan Project was over and FDR was in his grave.

John Joyce wrote:

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Slide Rule

Uh ... try integrating PDEs with a room full of people running slide rules some time. :slight_smile:

The electronic equivalent of the slide rule, the analog computer, was limited to a precision of at best five decimal digits, and could integrate *ordinary* differential equations easily. But partial differential equations are a whole 'nutha ball game. :slight_smile:

···

Put a lot of stuff in space though!
And pioneered through the RF and amplifier circuits. (think vacuum tubes/ valves, now that's some hardcore engineering!)

···

On Oct 3, 2007, at 11:37 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

John Joyce wrote:

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Slide Rule

Uh ... try integrating PDEs with a room full of people running slide rules some time. :slight_smile:

The electronic equivalent of the slide rule, the analog computer, was limited to a precision of at best five decimal digits, and could integrate *ordinary* differential equations easily. But partial differential equations are a whole 'nutha ball game. :slight_smile: