10.2.8 and rubygems

(Julian Leviston) #1

Okay I just did a package install () of the Jaguar (10.2.8) ruby. It seemed to have all worked, but then I tried to do a gem update rails and it failed.

<sigh>

gem update rails
Upgrading installed gems...
Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
Illegal instruction

What *AM* I doing wrong?

Something seems like totally stuffed up in my system or something.

Julian.

(Chad Fowler) #2

What's your ruby -v?

···

On 8/3/05, Julian Leviston <julian@coretech.net.au> wrote:

Okay I just did a package install () of the Jaguar (10.2.8) ruby. It
seemed to have all worked, but then I tried to do a gem update rails
and it failed.

<sigh>

gem update rails
Upgrading installed gems...
Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
Illegal instruction

What *AM* I doing wrong?

Something seems like totally stuffed up in my system or something.

--
Chad Fowler
http://chadfowler.com
http://rubycentral.org
http://rubygarden.org
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org (over 700,000 gems served!)

(Julian Leviston) #3

1.8.2

···

On 11/08/2005, at 1:34 AM, Chad Fowler wrote:

On 8/3/05, Julian Leviston <julian@coretech.net.au> wrote:

Okay I just did a package install () of the Jaguar (10.2.8) ruby. It
seemed to have all worked, but then I tried to do a gem update rails
and it failed.

<sigh>

gem update rails
Upgrading installed gems...
Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
Illegal instruction

What *AM* I doing wrong?

Something seems like totally stuffed up in my system or something.

What's your ruby -v?

--
Chad Fowler
http://chadfowler.com
http://rubycentral.org
http://rubygarden.org
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org (over 700,000 gems served!)

(Chad Fowler) #4

(you said "1.8.2")

This is something the ruby-core people might like to try to get more
details on. It's obviously some kind of bug in the ruby interpreter
or one of the included extensions (no pure ruby library should cause
the interpreter to crash with an "Illegal instruction" message).

What's the full output of ruby -v? That might be relevant.

···

On 8/10/05, Julian Leviston <julian@coretech.net.au> wrote:

1.8.2

On 11/08/2005, at 1:34 AM, Chad Fowler wrote:

> On 8/3/05, Julian Leviston <julian@coretech.net.au> wrote:
>
>> Okay I just did a package install () of the Jaguar (10.2.8) ruby. It
>> seemed to have all worked, but then I tried to do a gem update rails
>> and it failed.
>>
>> <sigh>
>>
>> gem update rails
>> Upgrading installed gems...
>> Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
>> Illegal instruction
>>
>> What *AM* I doing wrong?
>>
>> Something seems like totally stuffed up in my system or something.
>>
>
>
> What's your ruby -v?

--
Chad Fowler
http://chadfowler.com
http://rubycentral.org
http://rubygarden.org
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org (over 700,000 gems served!)

(Julian Leviston) #5

Yup, that's right. I did say 1.8.2. (<quizzical look>).

I'm just choosing to wait 3 weeks until our server is upgraded to 10.3 or 10.4.2 or something then I can be pretty sure 1.8.2 will work. I don't even know if 1.8.2 is MEANT to work on 10.2.8. Hmmm. It might have some bizarre dependency which I don't have installed. But the thing is, it doesn't appear to, and it (Rb) seems to install and test out just fine when I make it. :-S

It's VERY frustrating... especially when I'd like to start deploying my simple apps to see how viable Rails is in a real environment.

J

ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]

···

On 12/08/2005, at 4:23 AM, Chad Fowler wrote:

What's your ruby -v?

(you said "1.8.2")

This is something the ruby-core people might like to try to get more
details on. It's obviously some kind of bug in the ruby interpreter
or one of the included extensions (no pure ruby library should cause
the interpreter to crash with an "Illegal instruction" message).

What's the full output of ruby -v? That might be relevant.

--
Chad Fowler
http://chadfowler.com
http://rubycentral.org
http://rubygarden.org
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org (over 700,000 gems served!)