Scraping database

Hi, I was trying to figure out Mckenzie (http://github.com/tenderlove/mechanize/blob/master/GUIDE.rdoc) but being a newbie there is a lot I don't understand. I'm trying to write something that will go out and extract and create me a database of all the doctors in the US. Has anyone created something like this or can you point me in the right direction?

thanks

Mark

Something tells me I'll just get more spam if we help you.

···

On Oct 22, 2010, at 19:10 , Railsfid wrote:

Hi, I was trying to figure out Mckenzie (http://github.com/tenderlove/mechanize/blob/master/GUIDE.rdoc\) but being a newbie there is a lot I don't understand. I'm trying to write something that will go out and extract and create me a database of all the doctors in the US. Has anyone created something like this or can you point me in the right direction?

use watir.

···

On Oct 22, 10:10 pm, Railsfid <rails...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, I was trying to figure out Mckenzie (http://github.com/tenderlove/mechanize/blob/master/GUIDE.rdoc\) but being a newbie there is a lot I don't understand. I'm trying to write something that will go out and extract and create me a database of all the doctors in the US. Has anyone created something like this or can you point me in the right direction?

thanks

Mark

Hi, I was trying to figure out Mckenzie (
http://github.com/tenderlove/mechanize/blob/master/GUIDE.rdoc\) but being a
newbie there is a lot I don't understand. I'm

Say again ? Mckenzie ?! :smiley:

···

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 3:10 AM, Railsfid <railsfid@gmail.com> wrote:

trying to write something that will go out and extract and create me a
database of all the doctors in the US. Has anyone created something like
this or can you point me in the right direction?

thanks

Mark

Huh?

Mark

···

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 23, 2010, at 2:04 AM, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby@zenspider.com> wrote:

On Oct 22, 2010, at 19:10 , Railsfid wrote:

Hi, I was trying to figure out Mckenzie (http://github.com/tenderlove/mechanize/blob/master/GUIDE.rdoc\) but being a newbie there is a lot I don't understand. I'm trying to write something that will go out and extract and create me a database of all the doctors in the US. Has anyone created something like this or can you point me in the right direction?

Something tells me I'll just get more spam if we help you.

No. Mckenzie is a much better choice.

···

On Oct 23, 2010, at 07:55 , Junkone wrote:

On Oct 22, 10:10 pm, Railsfid <rails...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, I was trying to figure out Mckenzie (http://github.com/tenderlove/mechanize/blob/master/GUIDE.rdoc\) but being a newbie there is a lot I don't understand. I'm trying to write something that will go out and extract and create me a database of all the doctors in the US. Has anyone created something like this or can you point me in the right direction?

thanks

Mark

use watir.

Mark Christenson wrote in post #956516:

Huh?

The most likely use of a list of doctors who hadn't provided their
details personally is to contact them uninvited, which is of course
spamming.

Maybe Ryan is a doctor.

···

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/\.

Not to mention that none of these doctors agreed to have their data
being used by the OP in the first place (otherwise, scraping wouldn't
be necessary, as he'd have the data already), which is legally
questionable, as well.

···

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Mike Stephens <rubfor@recitel.net> wrote:

Mark Christenson wrote in post #956516:

Huh?

The most likely use of a list of doctors who hadn't provided their
details personally is to contact them uninvited, which is of course
spamming.

--
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,
(Ah, how soon!) they forget
When I've moved on to some other place,
There may be one or two,
When I've played and passed through,
Who'll remember my song or my face.