Re: Tk using Ruby

“ I don't see why I need to install a ruby VM and ActiveState Tcl/Tk
when I have ruby _and_ tcl working on my laptop. I'm sure that it
works just dandy, but ...”

The reason is because the official Tcl/Tk documentation recommends installing ActiveTcl from ActiveState: TkDocs Tutorial - Installing Tk

The tk Ruby gem recommends that too as the quality assured tcl distribution:

It doesn’t matter that you got tcl working a different way. It’s not the recommended installation, so you can’t expect success from that. It’s like shooting in the dark. Good luck with that!

As a general software engineering agile principle, it’s always better to get something working as soon as possible first no matter what way than to keep fighting a non-recommended failing approach instead.

Just get it working the recommended ActiveState way first and then think about optimizing the solution later (to perhaps experimenting with installing Linux packages)

It’s always better to trust what the authors of a technology recommend.

I am only trying to help. I’m sure you’d succeed if you follow what I recommend. I am sharing my experience of what I went through so that others don’t have to stumble. I’d like Ruby desktop GUI development with Tk to be a very straightforward no-nonsense process. I am pretty sure that Ruby is the best of all languages out there in Tk software engineering, and if it isn’t completely the best yet, it has the potential to be the best eventually without any competition being even close. Ruby is the only programming language out there that enables mixing GUI structure with logic without multi-language dissonance or overly cumbersome syntax, thanks to its excellent and elegant DSL support that simulates Lisp’s idea of code as data and data as code with Ruby blocks!

Andy

···

On Dec 18, 2021, at 6:24 PM, Duke Normandin <dukeofpurl@gmx.com> wrote:

On Sat, 18 Dec 2021 18:06:07 -0500
"Frank J. Cameron" <fjc@fastmail.net> wrote:

Got my antiX laptop, the default system packages are ruby-2.5:

Great! Saved your post!
Here's what I've got:

ls /lib/ruby
2.5.0 2.7.0 gems vendor_ruby

ls -l /usr/bin/ruby*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Oct 18 2020 /usr/bin/ruby -> ruby2.7
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 14328 Jul 8 13:10 /usr/bin/ruby2.7

So I'm linked to a newer version. I suppose that I'll have to link
to 2.5.0 if I want to pursue the Ruby/Tk experiment.

--
Duke
** Text only please. Bottom post is best. **

Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request@ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>
<http://lists.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ruby-talk&gt;