Hack-fest

A buddy of mine and I are going to do a hack feat together, we've come up with a few idea on what we would like to do but however I would like some suggestions on what can, and should be done.

We are thinking of doing he following:
- writing a complete file converter using JRuby
- writing a hex editor with a front end development and the back end development in Ruby
- programming a roomba in Ruby

So here's my questions, for the file converter, is that even possible in JRuby?
For the hex editor, how difficult would this truly be?

Can these things actually be done?

···

Sent from my iPhone

- writing a complete file converter using JRuby

"complete" = anything to anything ?!?

So here's another weekend project for you:

- writing a universal natural language translator using Rubinius

[...] for the file converter, is that even possible in JRuby?

Of course, but start with a much more specific task.

Regards,
Marcus

···

Am 13.02.2016 um 22:38 schrieb thomas Perkins:

--
GitHub: https://github.com/stomar/
PGP: 0x6B3A101A

He maens the program will be complete, converting files completely, e.g.
unix to dos... :wink:
But what does it have to do with hacking?

Berg

@Berg
This is even more cryptic than your usual posts.

I guess this is meant as a joke, because nothing in this answer
makes any sense. Please stop joking.

Marcus

···

Am 14.02.2016 um 10:27 schrieb A Berger:

He maens the program will be complete, converting files completely, e.g.
unix to dos... :wink:
But what does it have to do with hacking?

--
GitHub: https://github.com/stomar/
PGP: 0x6B3A101A

Hi Marcus,
you havent seen the ' :wink: ' ?
it makes sense:
How do you interpret the hacking-fest mail?
Why hacking?
What is meant with complete...?
- so we hope to get more details from Thomas!
Berg

···

Am 14.02.2016 11:55 schrieb <sto.mar@web.de>:

Am 14.02.2016 um 10:27 schrieb A Berger:
> He maens the program will be complete, converting files completely, e.g.
> unix to dos... :wink:
> But what does it have to do with hacking?

@Berg
This is even more cryptic than your usual posts.

I guess this is meant as a joke, because nothing in this answer
makes any sense. Please stop joking.

Marcus

--
GitHub: https://github.com/stomar/
PGP: 0x6B3A101A

Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request@ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>
<http://lists.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ruby-talk>

A hack-feat is just a name given to a group that gets together to make something, or hack something, because they can.

A complete file converter would be able to convert any file to any file:
ods to xlxs
Jpg to png
Etc..

···

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 15, 2016, at 2:49 AM, A Berger <aberger7890@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Marcus,
you havent seen the ' :wink: ' ?
it makes sense:
How do you interpret the hacking-fest mail?
Why hacking?
What is meant with complete...?
- so we hope to get more details from Thomas!
Berg
Am 14.02.2016 11:55 schrieb <sto.mar@web.de>:

Am 14.02.2016 um 10:27 schrieb A Berger:
> He maens the program will be complete, converting files completely, e.g.
> unix to dos... :wink:
> But what does it have to do with hacking?

@Berg
This is even more cryptic than your usual posts.

I guess this is meant as a joke, because nothing in this answer
makes any sense. Please stop joking.

Marcus

--
GitHub: https://github.com/stomar/
PGP: 0x6B3A101A

Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request@ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>
<http://lists.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ruby-talk>

Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request@ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>
<http://lists.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ruby-talk>

So that also implies e.g. "ods to png" in the definition of "complete"?
And "jpg to xlsx"?

Seems like "any to any" is a pretty broad (and ambitious) brush :slight_smile:

···

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 8:38 AM, thomas Perkins <thomas.perkins23@icloud.com> wrote:

A complete file converter would be able to convert any file to any file:
ods to xlxs
Jpg to png

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com
http://about.me/hassanschroeder
twitter: @hassan
Consulting Availability : Silicon Valley or remote

Hello
Would be very useful to also get a .pdf to .mid converter.
- So I hope Marcus allows some jokes of mine...
You mean converting all audio, picture, video, document format into all
other of the same class?

Berg

Converting from .mid to .wav or .mp3 is a useful tool. Wrote one myself
once. There are plenty available.

And you can convert audio to images so .mid to .pdf should be doable too.

Round tripping from a spectrogram (an image format) to .wav does not seem
to be out of the question and I suspect that you could probably make a stab
at .wav to .mid.

So yeah, .pdf to .mid is doable.

Of course each one of those is a hefty piece work in and of itself but
don't let that put you off :slight_smile:

Actually .ods to .png is quite trivial, but .png to .ods. Now there's a
challenge!

Lets face it someone scanned pictures of vinyl records and converted them
to audio so if you are up to it I also want the sheet music and the lyrics
translated from the original French.

Lol I'll get right on that!
Thanks for input

···

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 15, 2016, at 4:51 PM, Peter Hickman <peterhickman386@googlemail.com> wrote:

Converting from .mid to .wav or .mp3 is a useful tool. Wrote one myself once. There are plenty available.

And you can convert audio to images so .mid to .pdf should be doable too.

Round tripping from a spectrogram (an image format) to .wav does not seem to be out of the question and I suspect that you could probably make a stab at .wav to .mid.

So yeah, .pdf to .mid is doable.

Of course each one of those is a hefty piece work in and of itself but don't let that put you off :slight_smile:

Actually .ods to .png is quite trivial, but .png to .ods. Now there's a challenge!

Lets face it someone scanned pictures of vinyl records and converted them to audio so if you are up to it I also want the sheet music and the lyrics translated from the original French.

Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request@ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>
<http://lists.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ruby-talk>

Hi
I meant pdf(score) to mid.
(for a spectrogram jpg to mid would be more suitable).
mp3 to mid is not easy to do

dicam to (series of) jpg + text should be simple compared to the others

It cant be 'complete' - there will always be formats we dont even know of...

Berg

DICOM is correct

Well as complete as it can get is what I mean

···

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 16, 2016, at 1:39 AM, A Berger <aberger7890@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi
I meant pdf(score) to mid.
(for a spectrogram jpg to mid would be more suitable).
mp3 to mid is not easy to do

dicam to (series of) jpg + text should be simple compared to the others

It cant be 'complete' - there will always be formats we dont even know of...

Berg

Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request@ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>
<http://lists.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ruby-talk>