Escaping SQL queries

Hi, all. As someone whose last name has one of those dreaded apostrophes, I'm acutely aware of how poorly things can go when SQL queries don't handle apostrophes correctly. Googling this seems to give me some indeterminate methods on handling it, and I was wondering if there's One True Way to escape strings correctly in Ruby.

Any pointers?

Thanks!

-Ken

···

--
This mail was scanned by BitDefender
For more information please visit http://www.bitdefender.com/links/en/frams.html

*The* way would be to use a good ORM so that it does all this for you (I personally recommend Sequel).

The other good way would be to use parameterized queries.

Apart from that, use whatever given SQL library gives you; unlike in, say, PHP, there is more than one widely used one.

···

--
Matma Rex

Could do something like this example:

first = "T'Luth"
User.where("first_name LIKE ?", first) # This is the parameterized call Matma mentioned.

Under ActiveRecord, the 'first' parameter to where() will automatically be escaped for you.

Under Rails, calling .html_safe will escape non-alphanumeric characters for you, explicitly, before being passed to the calling method, the .where() method such as in this example, even though AR will do it for you, implicitly.

User.where("first_name LIKE ?", "#{first.html_safe}") # Explicit escaping

The example AR .where() clause is the same regardless if your app is straight Ruby or Rails. The .html_safe call is a Rails-only method. bear in mind that you can .html_safe variables directly in an SQL query, *but*, one still should not get into the habit of directly interpolating in a query string. Its an unsafe habit to form. (Lord help you if you forget to call .html_safe and it contains something malicious)

···

Matma Rex <mailto:matma.rex@gmail.com>
January 2, 2013 2:38 PM
*The* way would be to use a good ORM so that it does all this for you (I personally recommend Sequel).

The other good way would be to use parameterized queries.

Apart from that, use whatever given SQL library gives you; unlike in, say, PHP, there is more than one widely used one.

Ken D'Ambrosio <mailto:ken@jots.org>
January 2, 2013 2:35 PM
Hi, all. As someone whose last name has one of those dreaded apostrophes, I'm acutely aware of how poorly things can go when SQL queries don't handle apostrophes correctly. Googling this seems to give me some indeterminate methods on handling it, and I was wondering if there's One True Way to escape strings correctly in Ruby.

Any pointers?

Thanks!

-Ken

--
D. Deryl Downey

"The bug which you would fright me with I seek" - William Shakespeare - The Winter's Tale, Act III, Scene II - A court of Justice.

Whoa, there. First, `html_safe` does NOT escape anything or change the string at all, it marks a string as BEING safe. In other words, you are explicitly telling Rails NOT to (HTML) escape anything in the string.

Secondly, the HTML escaping in Rails does not escape "non-alphanumeric characters", it escapes HTML-specific characters (for latest Rails, these characters are <,>,&,', and "). So you do not want to HTML-escape input to a SQL query. Use the ORM's escaping methods.

Also, while the first example is correct, it is not accurate to say ActiveRecord will escape the first parameter to where(). The first parameter is not escaped, the parameters interpolated into the first parameter with the `?` syntax are escaped.

For other safe ways of using ActiveRecord, see the guide: http://guides.rubyonrails.org/active_record_querying.html#conditions

-Justin

···

On 01/02/2013 12:22 PM, D. Deryl Downey wrote:

Could do something like this example:

first = "T'Luth"
User.where("first_name LIKE ?", first) # This is the parameterized call
Matma mentioned.

Under ActiveRecord, the 'first' parameter to where() will automatically
be escaped for you.

Under Rails, calling .html_safe will escape non-alphanumeric characters
for you, explicitly, before being passed to the calling method, the
.where() method such as in this example, even though AR will do it for
you, implicitly.

User.where("first_name LIKE ?", "#{first.html_safe}") # Explicit
escaping

The example AR .where() clause is the same regardless if your app is
straight Ruby or Rails. The .html_safe call is a Rails-only method. bear
in mind that you can .html_safe variables directly in an SQL query,
*but*, one still should not get into the habit of directly interpolating
in a query string. Its an unsafe habit to form. (Lord help you if you
forget to call .html_safe and it contains something malicious)