Blog post: Concerning the term "monkeypatching"

In case anyone is interested...

Thanks,
Hal Fulton

Hal,

As a perpetual amateur in the Ruby world, I've never quite understood the
term. Your post is interesting, informative, and a good read. Your close is
astounding - simply good writing. I'm very glad you wrote this, and let us
know about it. If I do nothing else today having to do with Ruby, this will
have been time very well spent. Thank you.

Tom

···

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:08 AM, Hal Fulton <rubyhacker@gmail.com> wrote:

In case anyone is interested...

http://rubyhacker.com/blog2/concerning-the-term-monkeypatching.html

Thanks,
Hal Fulton

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give
birth to them,
but...life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.

~ Gabriel García Márquez

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tom Cloyd, MS MA LMHC (WA)
Psychotherapist (psychological trauma, dissociative disorders)
Spokane, Washington, U.S.A: (435) 272-3332
<< tc@tomcloyd.com >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I appreciate your kind remarks, Tom.

Hal Fulton

···

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Tom Cloyd <tomcloydmsma@gmail.com> wrote:

Hal,

As a perpetual amateur in the Ruby world, I've never quite understood the
term. Your post is interesting, informative, and a good read. Your close is
astounding - simply good writing. I'm very glad you wrote this, and let us
know about it. If I do nothing else today having to do with Ruby, this will
have been time very well spent. Thank you.

Tom

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:08 AM, Hal Fulton <rubyhacker@gmail.com> wrote:

In case anyone is interested...

http://rubyhacker.com/blog2/concerning-the-term-monkeypatching.html

Thanks,
Hal Fulton

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give
birth to them,
but...life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.

~ Gabriel García Márquez

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tom Cloyd, MS MA LMHC (WA)
Psychotherapist (psychological trauma, dissociative disorders)
Spokane, Washington, U.S.A: (435) 272-3332
<< tc@tomcloyd.com >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Interesting read, Hal. I have noticed there is a certain air of elitism by
some Python programmers when they address Ruby/Ruby-related topics. I think
it comes mainly from the differences each respective community has in terms
of design. Ruby (more than one way to get to a destination) vs Python
(There is only one true way to a destination). I have come across the term
monkeypatching before, and nothing but Ruby bashing tends to accompany its
usage.

···

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 2:25 PM, Tom Cloyd <tomcloydmsma@gmail.com> wrote:

Hal,

As a perpetual amateur in the Ruby world, I've never quite understood the
term. Your post is interesting, informative, and a good read. Your close is
astounding - simply good writing. I'm very glad you wrote this, and let us
know about it. If I do nothing else today having to do with Ruby, this will
have been time very well spent. Thank you.

Tom

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:08 AM, Hal Fulton <rubyhacker@gmail.com> wrote:

In case anyone is interested...

http://rubyhacker.com/blog2/concerning-the-term-monkeypatching.html

Thanks,
Hal Fulton

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give
birth to them,
but...life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.

~ Gabriel García Márquez

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tom Cloyd, MS MA LMHC (WA)
Psychotherapist (psychological trauma, dissociative disorders)
Spokane, Washington, U.S.A: (435) 272-3332
<< tc@tomcloyd.com >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think there may be a less sinister definition to monkeypatching than the
one you presume (i.e. if you do this, you're a monkey). "Monkey" has the
following "nautical" definition:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/monkey

    "denoting a small light structure or piece of equipment contrived to
suit an immediate purpose: a monkey foresail, a monkey bridge"

···

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:08 AM, Hal Fulton <rubyhacker@gmail.com> wrote:

In case anyone is interested...

http://rubyhacker.com/blog2/concerning-the-term-monkeypatching.html

--
Tony Arcieri

My description of my previous job was "keyboard monkey". While my title was "Senior Systems Administrator", my job was to pound on a keyboard, not actually solve problems.

-- Matt

···

On 08/10/2015 01:08 PM, Hal Fulton wrote:

In case anyone is interested...

http://rubyhacker.com/blog2/concerning-the-term-monkeypatching.html

... and I just bought your (e-)book. :slight_smile:

As someone who does not have a CS degree, but instead uses scripting languages as part of the day-to-day nuts-and-bolts of system administration, I'm always worried about the elements I lack; a book like yours that seems to point the way to a correct, streamlined version will, I am sure, come in very handy.

Thanks!

-Ken

···

On 2015-08-10 15:11, Nathaniel Quashie wrote:

Interesting read, Hal. I have noticed there is a certain air of
elitism by some Python programmers when they address Ruby/Ruby-related
topics. I think it comes mainly from the differences each respective
community has in terms of design. Ruby (more than one way to get to a
destination) vs Python (There is only one true way to a destination).
I have come across the term monkeypatching before, and nothing but
Ruby bashing tends to accompany its usage.

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 2:25 PM, Tom Cloyd <tomcloydmsma@gmail.com> > wrote:

Hal,

As a perpetual amateur in the Ruby world, I've never quite
understood the term. Your post is interesting, informative, and a
good read. Your close is astounding - simply good writing. I'm very
glad you wrote this, and let us know about it. If I do nothing else
today having to do with Ruby, this will have been time very well
spent. Thank you.

Tom

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:08 AM, Hal Fulton <rubyhacker@gmail.com> >> wrote:

In case anyone is interested...

http://rubyhacker.com/blog2/concerning-the-term-monkeypatching.html

[1]

Thanks,
Hal Fulton

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers
give birth to them,
but...life obliges them over and over again to give birth to
themselves.

~ Gabriel García Márquez

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tom Cloyd, MS MA LMHC (WA)
Psychotherapist (psychological trauma, dissociative disorders)
Spokane, Washington, U.S.A: (435) 272-3332 [2]
<< tc@tomcloyd.com >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Links:
------
[1] http://rubyhacker.com/blog2/concerning-the-term-monkeypatching.html
[2] tel:%28435%29%20272-3332

Now THAT is fascinating. Thank you for sharing that.

However, my impression is that it is generally used in the other sense.

And before someone posts the "brass monkey" things about cannonballs, I
should mention I don't buy that... :wink:

Hal

···

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 10:38 PM, Tony Arcieri <tony.arcieri@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:08 AM, Hal Fulton <rubyhacker@gmail.com> wrote:

In case anyone is interested...

http://rubyhacker.com/blog2/concerning-the-term-monkeypatching.html

I think there may be a less sinister definition to monkeypatching than the
one you presume (i.e. if you do this, you're a monkey). "Monkey" has the
following "nautical" definition:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/monkey

    "denoting a small light structure or piece of equipment contrived to
suit an immediate purpose: a monkey foresail, a monkey bridge"

--
Tony Arcieri

You should buy the print version, it's a multipurpose object. Not only is it good for improving your Ruby skills, it is also very handy for self defense and in a pinch it can add functionality to your couch that had a leg break off!

-- Matt

···

On 08/10/2015 02:17 PM, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:

... and I just bought your (e-)book. :slight_smile:

As someone who does not have a CS degree, but instead uses scripting languages as part of the day-to-day nuts-and-bolts of system administration, I'm always worried about the elements I lack; a book like yours that seems to point the way to a correct, streamlined version will, I am sure, come in very handy.