Bad for Ruby in RUBY

...in the topic today Ruby in Ruby....talk about a hacking game using
Ruby....
****DANGER***** while a laud the game engine effort...BUT...to us
business types trying to integrate this beautiful language swimming
against NIH (not invented Here Syndrome) and MANY other
prejudices....ANYthing the smells of Hack-idom will end any crusade for
this language... and i refer also to the movie Mattew Broaderik's WAR
GAMES....

···

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

Dave Rose wrote:

prejudices....ANYthing the smells of Hack-idom will end any crusade for
this language... and i refer also to the movie Mattew Broaderik's WAR
GAMES....

I have to totally disagree with that. As far as going mainstream,
nothing helps as well as publicity. Good or bad. There will be an
initial 'if you code in Ruby you must be a terrorist' phase, but then
millions will defend that with 'it's just a tool' and negate any bad
press while providing even more good press.

The usefulness of ASM and C for hacking has never hurt the popularity of
those languages even a little bit. There's no reason to think it'll
happen here.

And you're forgetting something... It's just a GAME. Not even a unique
one. As was stated, this has been done several times in several
languages.

I'm dying to see how he gets around Ruby's flexibility and preventing
someone from totally hacking the system right off, without destroying
that same flexibility and making the exercise worthless.

···

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

assume I shared it.

What could we do about it? This is a free ML, the game is a great idea and
if that harms Ruby than that is kind of tough luck.

But fortunately I think you are wrong,
1st there must be as many associations with bad words for about all
languages;
that one I am quite sure about
2nd I think that you overevaluate the impact of this ML to that kind of
people;
that one I might change my POV about if more informtation can be given.

Cheers
Robert

···

On 8/24/06, Dave Rose <bitdoger2@yahoo.com> wrote:

...in the topic today Ruby in Ruby....talk about a hacking game using
Ruby....
****DANGER***** while a laud the game engine effort...BUT...to us
business types trying to integrate this beautiful language swimming
against NIH (not invented Here Syndrome) and MANY other
prejudices....ANYthing the smells of Hack-idom will end any crusade for
this language... and i refer also to the movie Mattew Broaderik's WAR
GAMES....

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

Hmm I fail to share your POV, but just for the sake of argument let us

--
Deux choses sont infinies : l'univers et la bêtise humaine ; en ce qui
concerne l'univers, je n'en ai pas acquis la certitude absolue.

- Albert Einstein

Robert Dober wrote:

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

Hmm I fail to share your POV, but just for the sake of argument let us

assume I shared it.

just let me paraphrase a wall street journal article that i read a long
time ago on how executive decisions are made.....
two equally qualified executive candidates were given the opportunity to
sample an ice bowl with touthpick stuck shrimp meat...the one who
sampled the shrimp palm up squeezing the toothpick between his fingers
got the job... this was MS.Manner's way of doing... Even though this had
nothing to do with the job ...APPEARANCE...does count sometimes more
than logic does (and i have read Bruce Tate's book from JAVA 2
Ruby)....Remember we are competing with the Warm Safe Java womb ...i
don't recall EVER that JAVA in it's formative year being a hackers
game....

···

On 8/24/06, Dave Rose <bitdoger2@yahoo.com> wrote:

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

Dave Rose wrote:

Robert Dober wrote:
  

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

Hmm I fail to share your POV, but just for the sake of argument let us
      

assume I shared it.
    

just let me paraphrase a wall street journal article that i read a long time ago on how executive decisions are made.....
two equally qualified executive candidates were given the opportunity to sample an ice bowl with touthpick stuck shrimp meat...the one who sampled the shrimp palm up squeezing the toothpick between his fingers got the job... this was MS.Manner's way of doing... Even though this had nothing to do with the job ...APPEARANCE...does count sometimes more than logic does (and i have read Bruce Tate's book from JAVA 2 Ruby)....Remember we are competing with the Warm Safe Java womb ...i don't recall EVER that JAVA in it's formative year being a hackers game....
  
We aren't competing. This isn't a business.

-Justin

···

On 8/24/06, Dave Rose <bitdoger2@yahoo.com> wrote:

Um....ok.

I guess that's why C and Perl never made it big...

Jake

···

On 8/24/06, Dave Rose <bitdoger2@yahoo.com> wrote:

Ruby)....Remember we are competing with the Warm Safe Java womb ...i
don't recall EVER that JAVA in it's formative year being a hackers
game....

Jake Cutter wrote:

···

On 8/24/06, Dave Rose <bitdoger2@yahoo.com> wrote:

Ruby)....Remember we are competing with the Warm Safe Java womb ...i
don't recall EVER that JAVA in it's formative year being a hackers
game....

Um....ok.

I guess that's why C and Perl never made it big...

Jake

...we are competing for mindshare ... and C & Perl had different
competing environments... they're nich weren't mature with other
alternatives having bigger mindshares... C was an ATT freeware given to
Academics... and Perl was Unix/Linx world back then when most of these
weren't in biz critical missions....

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

ok but where would you put Ruby then?
I daresay it is not in any niche close to what I understand you think it is,
but I would love to learn more about it.
For me Ruby is not competing for business (yet). I have the impression that
some members of this ML share that opinion.
We prefer Ruby to be good and then succesfull, potentially, and not to be
succesfull and then bad because of Business Constraints. We are in an Open
Source Environement after all.

That said of course I would hate that it gets a bad reputation and I would
be as concerned as you are if I interpreted things your way.
I do not and I am happy, but I am aware that often the Happy One is happy
from Ignorance.

Cheers
Robert

···

On 8/24/06, Dave Rose <bitdoger2@yahoo.com> wrote:

Jake Cutter wrote:
> On 8/24/06, Dave Rose <bitdoger2@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Ruby)....Remember we are competing with the Warm Safe Java womb ...i
>> don't recall EVER that JAVA in it's formative year being a hackers
>> game....
>
> Um....ok.
>
> I guess that's why C and Perl never made it big...
>
> Jake

...we are competing for mindshare ... and C & Perl had different
competing environments... they're nich weren't mature with other
alternatives having bigger mindshares... C was an ATT freeware given to
Academics... and Perl was Unix/Linx world back then when most of these
weren't in biz critical missions....

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

--
Deux choses sont infinies : l'univers et la bêtise humaine ; en ce qui
concerne l'univers, je n'en ai pas acquis la certitude absolue.

- Albert Einstein