[ANN] rbbr-0.3.1

Hi,

rbbr-0.3.1 is now available.

rbbr-0.3.0 supported ruby-1.8.x only.
rbbr-0.3.1 also supports ruby-1.6.x.

Download

···

========
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=53614

Enjoy!


.:% Masao Mutohmutoh@highway.ne.jp

Yes, but does it support rbbr duck typing? :slight_smile:

···

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:10:41PM +0900, Masao Mutoh wrote:

Hi,

rbbr-0.3.1 is now available.

rbbr-0.3.0 supported ruby-1.8.x only.
rbbr-0.3.1 also supports ruby-1.6.x.

Masao Mutoh wrote:

Hi,

rbbr-0.3.1 is now available.

Great.

What is it?

James

Hi,

···

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 22:29:23 +0900 Brian Candler B.Candler@pobox.com wrote:

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:10:41PM +0900, Masao Mutoh wrote:

Hi,

rbbr-0.3.1 is now available.

rbbr-0.3.0 supported ruby-1.8.x only.
rbbr-0.3.1 also supports ruby-1.6.x.

Yes, but does it support rbbr duck typing? :slight_smile:

I’m sorry but I’m not good at English. What is this mean?


.:% Masao Mutohmutoh@highway.ne.jp

Hi,

···

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 22:48:41 +0900 james_b james_b@neurogami.com wrote:

Masao Mutoh wrote:

Hi,

rbbr-0.3.1 is now available.

Great.

What is it?

Oops, See
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/78606

Thanks,


.:% Masao Mutohmutoh@highway.ne.jp

http://images.google.com/images?q=rubber+duck&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

Sorry, my feeble attempt at humour after the long “duck typing” thread…

Cheers,

Brian.

···

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:50:56PM +0900, Masao Mutoh wrote:

rbbr-0.3.1 is now available.

rbbr-0.3.0 supported ruby-1.8.x only.
rbbr-0.3.1 also supports ruby-1.6.x.

Yes, but does it support rbbr duck typing? :slight_smile:

I’m sorry but I’m not good at English. What is this mean?

Yes, but does it support rbbr duck typing? :slight_smile:

I’m sorry but I’m not good at English. What is this mean?

He is just making a joke about bringing up the “duck typing” discussion,
using XML syntax.

In English-based discussions, when someone does something that is known to
be “provocative”, such as bringing up a holy war issue (emacs vs vi,
indentation/brace styles, unix vs. windows, etc.), they often use an
expression of avoiding flying objects, as the other members of the
discussion will (figuratively) “throw things” at him for bringing it up.

Masao Mutoh wrote:

Hi,

Masao Mutoh wrote:

Hi,

rbbr-0.3.1 is now available.

Great.

What is it?

Oops, See
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/78606

Maybe I’m being anal retentive, but could I please ask folks, when
posting about some new or updated project, to make the small additional
effort to include a brief description?

A link to a description doesn’t tell me anything until I (and a 100+
other people) follow the link and download the page.

Thanks,

James

···

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 22:48:41 +0900 > james_b james_b@neurogami.com wrote:

Thanks,

Hi,

rbbr-0.3.1 is now available.

rbbr-0.3.0 supported ruby-1.8.x only.
rbbr-0.3.1 also supports ruby-1.6.x.

Yes, but does it support rbbr duck typing? :slight_smile:

I’m sorry but I’m not good at English. What is this mean?

http://images.google.com/images?q=rubber+duck&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

Sorry, my feeble attempt at humour after the long “duck typing” thread…

No problem.
I’m sorry but I’ve not been able to read ruby-talk mails for a week,
because I’ve concentreted to work for Ruby-GNOME2-0.6.0.

BTW, rubber duck seems cute, and the spelling is similer rbbr as you said.
#I’ve known the goods but I’ve not know the name in English.

Can I use it as rbbr’s icon ?
Are there any problems(license or that meaning)?

···

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:06:15 +0900 Brian Candler B.Candler@pobox.com wrote:

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:50:56PM +0900, Masao Mutoh wrote:


.:% Masao Mutohmutoh@highway.ne.jp

I downloaded the latest source and built ruby under cygwin. make, make test,
make install all succeeded.

However, I have a script which fails now and didn’t used to. I’ve narrowed
it down to this:

bash-2.05b$ ruby -v -w -e ‘require “net/ftp”’
/cygdrive/c/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/ftp.rb:14:in require': No such file to load -- socket (LoadError) from /cygdrive/c/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/ftp.rb:14 from -e:1:inrequire’
from -e:1
ruby 1.8.0 (2003-08-04) [i386-cygwin]

The odd thing is, the exact same procedure works fine on my Windows 98 box!
I’m sure this is something silly, but I can’t see the problem.

Thoughts?

Hi,
Just 2 questions:

  1. How can I mixin a class method (not an instance method)?

  2. How can I force a certain method to be called when the an object of a
    class that includes that module is initialized? Sort of like a mixin
    initialize…

TIA
Michael Garriss

Those images were just turned up by google from various sites -
unfortunately you’d have to check with the owner of each one.

I don’t actually have a rubber duck, otherwise I would photograph it for you
:slight_smile:

Cheers,

Brian.

···

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 11:27:48PM +0900, Masao Mutoh wrote:

BTW, rubber duck seems cute, and the spelling is similer rbbr as you said.
#I’ve known the goods but I’ve not know the name in English.

Can I use it as rbbr’s icon ?
Are there any problems(license or that meaning)?

Yes, but does it support rbbr duck typing? :slight_smile:

I’m sorry but I’m not good at English. What is this mean?

http://images.google.com/images?q=rubber+duck&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=en&btnG=Googl
e+Search

Sorry, my feeble attempt at humour after the long "duck typing"
thread…

No problem.
I’m sorry but I’ve not been able to read ruby-talk mails for a week,
because I’ve concentreted to work for Ruby-GNOME2-0.6.0.

BTW, rubber duck seems cute, and the spelling is similer rbbr as you said.
#I’ve known the goods but I’ve not know the name in English.

There is one other aspect to this joke…
the English word “duck” is also a verb,
meaning to crouch suddenly, as when
avoiding something thrown at you. (In
this case, something thrown at Brian
for making the original “rbbr duck” joke.)

Cheers,
Hal

···

----- Original Message -----
From: “Masao Mutoh” mutoh@highway.ne.jp
To: “ruby-talk ML” ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 9:27 AM
Subject: Re: [ANN] rbbr-0.3.1

Hi,

···

In message “1.8.0 vs. Windows XP problem” on 03/08/11, “Michael Campbell” michael_s_campbell@yahoo.com writes:

bash-2.05b$ ruby -v -w -e ‘require “net/ftp”’
/cygdrive/c/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/ftp.rb:14:in require': No such file to load -- socket (LoadError) from /cygdrive/c/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/ftp.rb:14 from -e:1:inrequire’
from -e:1
ruby 1.8.0 (2003-08-04) [i386-cygwin]

This means your installation was not complete. socket.dll is not
installed at the right position. Show us your $LOAD_PATH and the log
output from “make install”.

						matz.

"ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org" See? That wasn’t too hard. You could even
set up an alias or something in your addressbook if that seems too
daunting.

mumble mumble Screwing up my threaded mail client mumble mumble

-Kurt :o)

···

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 11:39:38PM +0900, Michael Campbell wrote:

I downloaded the latest source and built ruby under cygwin. make, make test,
make install all succeeded.

However, I have a script which fails now and didn’t used to. I’ve narrowed
it down to this:

bash-2.05b$ ruby -v -w -e ‘require “net/ftp”’
/cygdrive/c/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/ftp.rb:14:in require': No such file to load -- socket (LoadError) from /cygdrive/c/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/ftp.rb:14 from -e:1:inrequire’
from -e:1
ruby 1.8.0 (2003-08-04) [i386-cygwin]

The odd thing is, the exact same procedure works fine on my Windows 98 box!
I’m sure this is something silly, but I can’t see the problem.

Thoughts?

======= End of Original Message =======<

Michael Garriss wrote:

Hi,
Just 2 questions:

  1. How can I mixin a class method (not an instance method)?

  2. How can I force a certain method to be called when the an object of
    a class that includes that module is initialized? Sort of like a
    mixin initialize…

TIA
Michael Garriss

oops, didn’t mean for it to end up in that thread

Michael Garriss wrote:

Hi,
Just 2 questions:

  1. How can I mixin a class method (not an instance method)?

Since #include doesn’t propagate class/module methods, you have to use
#extend:

module M
def foo; end # NOT: def M.foo
end

class C
extend M
end

C.foo

Hi,
Just 2 questions:

  1. How can I mixin a class method (not an instance method)?

class A
class << self
include SomeModule
end
end

  1. How can I force a certain method to be called when the an object of a
    class that includes that module is initialized? Sort of like a mixin
    initialize…

module SomeModule
def new(*args)
object = super *args
# call whatever you want here
object
end
end

···

----- Original Message -----
From: “Michael Garriss” mgarriss@earthlink.net
To: “ruby-talk ML” ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 3:16 PM
Subject: newbie mixin questions

TIA
Michael Garriss

Brian Candler wrote:

I don’t actually have a rubber duck,

So how do you debug code???

Out of curiosity, what did he do to screw up your
mail client?

<jab type="good-natured>At least he’s not a top-poster.

Cheers,
Hal

···

----- Original Message -----
From: “Kurt M. Dresner” kdresner@cs.utexas.edu
To: “ruby-talk ML” ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 11:47 AM
Subject: Re: 1.8.0 vs. Windows XP problem

"ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org" See? That wasn’t too hard. You could even
set up an alias or something in your addressbook if that seems too
daunting.

mumble mumble Screwing up my threaded mail client mumble mumble